Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Yes a number of transfers went through as a result of that debacle but none of them even in the universe of high profile. The family name was high profile by association but that was it.

Did Conor ever make a senior panel? 2007 was his highlight in a Galway jersey in the U21 final, scored 2 goals in the early going. A very tasty FF line of himself, JC and Kerrill Wade. Interestingly Wade was the free taker both at minor and U21 ahead of Joe, and played in the 2007 senior championship, his first and last season I think. I have always felt 2007 was a great chance lost, Joe and Ollie refusing to play and Loughnane with his mad lineups announced before the throw in. Was 2007 Cloonan’s last appearance as well?, he might have been on the 2008 panel but didn’t feature against Cork at least.

1 Like

They had a lad from Mayo last year who is a Guard in the city and I think they had Owen Gallagher from Antrim as well who was studying medicine in NUIG for years and is settled in Galway now. Was on the NUIG Sigerson team for what seemed like the best part of a decade. Moycullen producing lots of talented young players now as well though to be fair to them.

They’ve effectively a city suburb club now as the city has expanded outwards into the sticks.

1 Like

Well, you are correct. That emphasis is one of BC’s biggest achievements – and legacies.

Then again, Kilkenny is a ‘nice’ size, with the town right in the middle. Everything, including geography, leaves it easy to have 12 clubs in Division 1 and 12 clubs in Division 2.

@KinvarasPassion might be a better man to ask, but I don’t remember too much being said about Conor Kavanagh transferring to Liam Mellows at the time.

Afaik @flattythehurdler Oran/Maree parish stops at the old petrol pumps on the coast road. Where Oranmore train station is now. That’s the City boundary right there. The flyover on the Oranmore bypass is the same boundary.

1 Like

If you were in conversation with Kinvara folk, there was!

1 Like

You can overlay the current OSI mapping with the Historic Map 6 inch Colour (1837-1842) on http://map.geohive.ie. Interesting results.

1 Like

2007 was the closest anyone got to KK in that time period. A really tight and tense game. Wade was excellent on the frees.

I was on the hill that day. We had a goal chance with maybe ten to go. A last gasp flick took it out of the path of Cloonan. The ball went down the other end to fast Eddie with Ger Mahon daydreaming bedside him. We ended up losing by ten.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, Mahon came on to mark Brennan. The eejit came out and started a shouldering contest, which Eddie finished with the butt of the hurl into his ribs. That was the end of Ger.

3 Likes

Mahon showed great promise underage but never really delivered at senior. Same as John Lee. I think a bad hand injury put a small bit of fear into him and he was never the same lad under a dropping ball.

The best marking job on Eddie that I saw was Shane Kavanagh, who put him in his pocket in 2005 when he switched over to him. Eddie was in the process of taking Damian Joyce to town, but Kav put a stop to that and started hurling him from the front. If I’m not mistaken, we got a couple of key scores directly from Kav cutting out ball to Eddie.

5 Likes

Correct. Wasn’t he on the ground as play developed and Brennan pretty much had a free pass to score

I think it was. I know himself, David Tierney and Kerril Wade came on as subs against KK in 2006, and nearly (kind of!) swung the match in our favour. That was the end of Conor Hayes’ as well.

Does anyone get overly excited about it now?

He did but it was too late at that stage. Conors style was unique, I actually have a girl on our camogie (U10) and she has exact same habit and it’s almost embedded in her neural pathways at this stage, she keeps reverting to it, despite all the coaching.

Kavanagh had electric pace but it was his acceleration that was his real asset. He’d never meet the ball stationary, he’d have his momentum built up and god help you if you weren’t beside him when that ball came near him, he’d be gone. His move to Mellows was straight forward enough with little fuss. He has his county medal.

1 Like

Not that I’m aware of. May have been invited in alright. There have been plenty examples of this… Keith Kilkenny being one I recall? Some lads just won’t commit and who can blame them.

That was a really good game. Seem to remember the Galway keeper making a mistake near the end to give KK the ten point win which flattered them a bit. It was in the melting pot at 60 mins.

Wexford dumped Babs and Tipp out beforehand. Probably the only time I was happy Tipp were beaten.

I think Cork/Waterford played the following day. Those quarter final double header weekends were great and should be reinstated.

5 Likes

Isn’t one side of the Comer Rd in Canice’s parish and the other side John’s.

You have an awful thing against Babs :sweat:

If he was beside him he’d have some chance… Ger was out in the 21 and Eddie had sneaked in around the 14. A real snippers goal. I remember Colm Callanan roaring at Mahon but alas twas too late.