Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

The Cork Waterford replay quarter final was the main event when Wexford and Kilkenny in the AI semi final was the curtain raiser with both games in Croke Park. Rare that a quarter final gets top billing over the semi final, but such was how shite Wexford were and Kilkenny were going to just hop off them.

From the turnoff to Greenshill between the petrol station and Brannigans to the roundabout at Newpark Drive/New Road, one side is in John’s and one side is in Canice’s. Both sides are in John’s further out where The Weir and the other housing estates are.

I don’t really think double headers work at inter county senior level.

The first game is quite strange in that there’s no parade or national anthem so the game kind of starts without warning. This leads to a lot of upsets in the early game.

You also have supporters coming and going during games which dents the atmosphere and spectacle.

2 Likes

That statement could be applied to most Galway games. The year before, in 2006, the first ball in to Liam Donohue popped out of his hand and into the net.

Would the whistle starting the game not be warning enough?

This thread has taken a lovely meander off-topic over the past few days.

5 Likes

I greatly enjoyed the discussion late last night.

2 Likes

No you need a parade/national anthem to set the scene and get everyone focused.

When there’s none, some people can end up missing the throw in, down in the toilet or at the shop.

You really dont.

You do. The National Anthem/Parade brings a ‘big game feel’ to proceedings which is distinctly lacking in the first game of a double header.

Also half the crowd aren’t interested in the first game leading to a dead atmosphere. And for the second game, half the crowd will have gone home.

1 Like

You really don’t

I love it when the minors play before the seniors.

2 Likes

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You just wouldn’t understand what a big game feel is.

Laois tend not to be involved in them I suppose.

@peddlerscross is right. The first game in a double header is generally devoid of atmosphere and does start very suddenly without a national anthem

2 Likes

So you cant start a game without the national anthem and the parade?

Lads need the national anthem to tell them not to go for a piss?

This is an unsettling discovery about Tipp lads.

That isn’t what he’s saying at all, just that it lacks the pageantry, and he’s right. Personally I don’t like the parade, (I do like the anthem) but it’s a traditional part of the process and build up.

@flattythehurdler this is what he said. I find it hard to believe lads miss the throw in because there was no national anthem.

Yes all Senior inter County Games should be standalone games with the National Anthem played before them giving them the respect they deserve.

That little crescendo at the end of Amhran na bhFiann is a signal to everyone to tune in here. This is serious business.