Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

There’s plenty with prostate issues and wan or two on board.

Thats not what you said.

So lads take a piss during the National Anthem?

Look you are a very awkward man obviously but I will spell it out to you.

Before the first game in a double header, the teams can be warming up harmlessly before throw in, taking a few shots or whatever. All of a sudden then, they might have a 5 second huddle and straight into their positions for throw in.

Joe Public might be watching the warm up and say to himself, this wont be starting anytime soon, and make a quick bolt to the shop/toilet and then bang the game has started without notice and he’s missed it.

Its a disaster.

Would you consider going for a piss when you get into the stadium, instead of waiting for the anthem and then bursting out for a quick slash?

Holding it on the train all the way up and through breakfast in Heuston station … finally relents when the anthem starts.

1 Like

What you really need to do is head down the jacks with a clicker.

My basic point still stands, that double headers at Senior Inter County Level are a disaster and very rarely memorable occasions.

We should give you a bottle or a gosunder.

A Gazunder?! The first ball to rattle the net would have piss flying all over the place.

1 Like

Listen, if he can’t hold his piss we need to do something

The AIQF double header in Thurles in 2014 was a memorable occasion. The Wexford bandwagon came in full force thinking they were relevant again and Limerick sent them home with their tae in their mugs.

Plus the town was packed and it was a scorching hot day

1 Like

We would pretty much follow the rule of thumb that the parish your home is located in is where you play your hurling. Being a gaeltacht county in parts, parents do have a tendency to drive out of town to bring kids to gaelscoils.

1 Like

An odd one. You would imagine the Nore should be the most natural possible boundary. But no.

Back in the 1960s and 1970s, Dicksboro’s territory actually included as far as Newpark, adjacent to where Eurospar etc now stands. A close friend of mine is from the heart of Newpark and won a Minor A County Final with The 'Boro in 1973. John Marnell, 'Boro icon and all round gent, was likewise from Newpark. So are the McCormack brothers, who hurled with James Stephens.

At one point, back the years, the Old Callan Road was Village territory. So was Walkin Street, I think, further back. There has been a lot of kerfuffling about boundaries, over the years.

Kilkenny club hurling is tame, no major rows like in Galway, Cork, Tipp.

There was a fervent atmosphere before the first game alright but it turned into a massacre and some Wexford fans had left by the end of the first game. I heard the 2nd half of the Tipp-Dublin game on the radio in the car on the way home. That was a very drab game too which signalled the end of the Dalo
Era.

1 Like

I always felt they should just play the national anthem before each game. You’re bang on about it taking slightly from the first game. Double headers are better if the two games involve a team from the same county in each. Wexford had a great triple header in Croke Park in 2008, drew the minor v Kilkenny, won the football v Laois and the hurling replay v Dublin.

1 Like

Would I be correct in saying that Loughnane finished the likes of Kerril Wade? I remember talking to a man who owned a hardware shop during GerLocks early season. Kerril Wade was a sales rep and called on business, leaned on the counter with his elbows and instantly winced in pain. Inquiring about his welfare, the shop owner was shown a pair of bruised elbows. Wade informed him that Ger had the forwards running a gauntlet of lads flaking them on the elbows and arms with hurls…in preparation for what would await them when taking on Kilkenny!! Seriously.
And that was the end of that inter county career.

4 Likes

Loughnane was a fruitcake, so I’d well believe it. But, for all his craziness, I still remember seeing Loughnane rescue a player that had dislocated his jaw and swallowed his tongue under a heavy hit in a challenge match against Galway. He horsed the medics out of the way, emptied a first aid kit out onto the pitch to find a steel scissors, which he then smashed through his player’s clamped shut teeth. He was then able to fish out his tongue, which kept him from choking to death.

14 Likes

TNH