Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

I recall it pissing rain during the latter part of the Tipperary-Dublin game. I suppose scorching is all relative depending on the part of Ireland you’re in.

That was a miserable enough spectacle, Tipp v Dublin. Tipp were never really threatened.

The 2019 Quarter Final double header in HQ was absolutely bizarre with the main event on first and then a turkey shoot in the second game.

The vast swathes of empty seats after the KK and Cork fans left made Tipp v Laois very harmless. The Laois fans to be fair gave it there all with that Laois Laois Laois chant. Cc @myboyblue

There have been a few bizarre exceedingly attractive double headers involving the Dublin football team over the years where Dublin played first and then the whole stadium empties out before the second match.

They were quite common around 2003/2004.

1 Like

The GAA had a lovely little tradition circa 2005 - 2009 where for the Football Quarter finals they’d give the Dubs a standalone game, and have another quarter final as a double header with a hurling semi final.

Kerry v Monaghan 2007 was on before the Limerick v Waterford hurling semi final.

2 Likes

It was the first time many Monaghan and Limerick people had ever encountered somebody from the other county.

2 Likes

There are lads on here who would know that era better than I, and know the ins and outs of Wade’s brief IC career. All I know is he was an absolutely brilliant corner forward. He was a bit light, a lad you could pick up and carry under your arm, if you could catch him. Apparently he was mad into the dogs and lost interest at a time when IC started to demand a huge commitment. But sure there’s more to life, etc.

1 Like

And what a craic we had with each other on the hill

You’d come across some quare characters from various counties while sitting on the back wall underneath Hill 16 with an overpriced pint in a plastic glass during the break between matches at exceedingly attractive double headers.

1 Like

Some lads shouldn’t be allowed in the door of Croke Park

More on the evils of paddle boarding

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2021/0825/1242741-uk-afghanistan/

1 Like

I see that family in Cavan on TV earlier in the week talking about their son’s suicide after being bullied have said they got a visit from Joe this week. He was a big hero of the young fella, and Joe drove up to them from Limerick for a visit. No fuss about it either, nobody would even know except for the family mentioning it.

34 Likes

Edinson Cavani is a big fan of Joe.

Sad news from Portumna. Josephine Canning passed away.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dílis.

27 Likes

Sad indeed, the light of Heaven to her soul.

2 Likes

Ah no.

May she Rest in Peace. Great woman.

2 Likes

This thread should be only used for messages of sympathy for the coming days.
Now, nor here, are the place for snide remarks. Plenty of time next month.

Respect where it’s due. Thanks.

23 Likes

A great woman, who I was fortunate enough to have many a pleasant encounter. May she rest in peace.

18 Likes

She reared and raised well, God bless her. That’s really sad.

2 Likes

RIP