Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Wonder what players Joe was insinuating here that were disruptive. Interesting enough interview

8 Likes

Molloy’s hairline is terrifying. A warning to all.

3 Likes

Could listen to Canning all day. Fierce interesting character.

3 Likes

That’s an outstanding listen.

Joe always had a lovely manner about him at the ploughing match over the years.

2 Likes

Why did my mind go immediately to someone like David Collins when he mentioned disruptive players? Maybe I’m being a bit harsh.

4 Likes

Josie knew…

Doubt you’re too far off the mark.

Twas the Carkie in him!

1 Like

Joe’s description of his aul lad hounding him for team news to no success so he could act the big man around Portumna was fantastic. Great to hear Joe is happy out with the minors role and life in general.

3 Likes

Iook at Joe’s interview with Richie Hogan from a few months ago, this is a carbon copy!

Joe has a good article in the Irish Times today about some of the ridiculous rules in the GAA, and the power-hungry bureaucratic types that love enforcing them.

One that drives me demented is making the coaches/selectors sit on these tiny little fold-up chairs on the side of the pitch; and they’re not allowed stand up under any circumstances. So if the manager wants to discuss anything with them (which is literally their job), the manager has to stand in a weird hunched-over contorted position to have any sort of natural conversation (unless they’re very short). God forbid someone stands up on the side of the pitch.

It’s fucking mental.

2 Likes

You’ve fuck all to worry you

I’m not a fan of bureaucracy for the sake of bureaucracy.

This stuff about subs not being allowed to puck around at half-time, or players not allowed being bring their hurley onto the pitch for the walkaround when you arrive. Joe is 100% right, they’re just rules for the sake of having rules and the fact that lunatics enforce them is even worse.

14 Likes

Does yourself or Joe know why they were introduced in the first place?

I agree with not having selectors standing on the sideline. Its the same in soccer where the touchline is patrolled properly by just the manager.

Some of the other rules like joint captains being banned were stupid though.

The difference with soccer is that most soccer pitches have dugouts on the pitch, which the manager often returns to. Not the case in GAA.

The differences between those who play and those who committee will be apparent here

4 Likes

But there has to be some sort of rules and regulations in place.

Like anyone who was pitch side at the All Ireland Club Finals this year will tell you what total and utter carnage it was towards the end of both games when you had subs and club officials from all sides trying to give their tuppence worth on the sideline.

The football was mental stuff altogether in Extra Time when Paul Mannion decided he was the new Manager of Kilmacud Crokes and every Tom, Dick and Harry from Kilcoo became a selector.

Maggie Farrelly as 4th Official had an impossible task trying to maintain order.

1 Like

It might be time to put intercounty management teams into the stand entirely

1 Like

It should be just the manager on the touchline.

Roddy Collins was right about players needing to know who the boss is. That’s why Roddy never turned up for a game without a £1,000 suit from his pal Louis Copeland.

Some of the rif raff GAA Managers turn up in is appalling.