Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

Hamstrung by his own county boards uselessness for the entirety of his career practically. A decent sort who did his talking on the field and did his best to earn coin off it enough so that he wouldnt have to be a mug like so many others working 9-5’s or teaching little gobshites every Monday morning. Nothing wrong with that and fair fucks to him for it.

Honoured to have watched him in the flesh. A great in any era, the greatest perhaps.

12 Likes

That was a great goal in fairness. One of the best I’ve seen.

1 Like

Andy Smith, spent a lifetime just collecting ball and lamping it in the direction of Joe. Cant blame him, it generally worked out.

Cluxton could learn from this

4 Likes

Privileged to be alive to see him play. In my eyes Joe is the GOAT. He had it all.

1 Like

The Shefflin press conference to announce his retirement bate all

1 Like

The best centre back of the modern era. It’ll take a while to fill those boots.

3 Likes
1 Like

Horgan will surely beat that record if he plays another couple of years?

10 points a game should be no problem for a free taker in hurling.

6 Kilkenny defenders left in his wake. None of them were mugs.

Horgan has less to offer now than Canning, id be shocked if himself and Callanan don’t join Joe before the end of the year especially if one of them pocket an AI medal.

I’d say so. Horgan doesn’t strike me as someone who’s going to retire in the next 2 or so years

I’d be fierce surprised of both of them pocket a medal this year

1 Like

I was wearing a hat just like his father’s at the match on Saturday

Its a noble piece of headgear.

1 Like

You can’t beat a trilby in this weather.

He scored an unreal goal towards the end of that match. I’ll never forget it. The game was getting away from Galway and he decided he was going to score a goal and started roaring for the next pick out, it didn’t get to him but then the next one did.

1 Like

As good a set of wrists that have played the game in fairness to him. Some of his underage, club and third level performances were man against boys.

Had a fine career.

He was an excellent player. But JJ and Tommy were better.