Joe Canning, Unquestionably the GOAT

How would you rate him against TJ?

All JJ and Tommy did was mullock lads and lamp ball up to a forward line who would generally dominate their men 4 times out of 6.

That never happened. Both his goals were in the first half in that game

TJ Ryan or TJ Reid?

1 Like

"I had nothing prepared. Everyone dreams about a lovely way to go out, and in my own head it was going to be 22 August, winning an All-Ireland.

Ultimately, the wear and tear on his body had reached a tipping point.

Canning celebrates Liam MacCarthy success in 2017

"I want to be able to train the whole time and offer the same as everybody else. I have had a few serious injuries over the past few years. When you are nursing injuries, you can’t get a good run at it, particularly this year in the league with my thumb. The hamstring went. My finger, my heel.

“I don’t want to be there as a token gesture, being part-time. I want to offer the same as everyone else. I don’t want to be there on reputation.”

Based in Limerick, Canning says he has had no time to reflect on his career as a whole - “that’s for a few Christmases away with the family and a few drinks”, is looking forward to continuing his business ventures and says the extra time should help lower his golf handicap.

He may be hanging up his inter-county boots, but Portumna will see many more days of the sharpshooter, with club championship just around the corner.

"We have a league game next Monday. I’m looking forward to getting back involved, we have training on Friday night.

“I’ll try and stay on for as long as I can.”

1 Like

Up there

Oh Brother Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

1 Like

I know, you should feel pretty sheepish right about now. Tommy never looked up with ball in his hand once in his life from the half back line. Half of his clearances were from over his showlder.

Cyril

Cyril loves the auld college games

Tommy Walsh with 9 all starts in 4 different positions, he could do it all

1 Like

Way to ruin my memory of it. (My memory is admittedly atrocious). End of the first half so maybe? Game was getting away from Galway a bit and he decided he was going to score a goal. It was definitely in the Gaelic grounds anyway if that was the same game.

Horgan’s fresh out. Not injury concerns. He’ll be around a few yrs yet.

1 Like

No, the Galway Cork game was Thurles on a warm Saturday evening. There was serious premature slating of cork on here at half time only for them to rise from the dead and win it

I’m thinking of the famous qualifier in Thurles in 2008? I was at it

Even by Galway standards that was a gutless performance, JC aside.

Here’s a question for ye.

Did Joe Canning fulfil his potential?

Himself and Ollie were the only two in to stand tall in the second half.

Yes, could he have been even better? Possibly but even the greats have flaws

Which one of ye started the WhatsApp rumour that he was transferring to Monaleen ?! :see_no_evil::see_no_evil::see_no_evil: