Joe Duffy's Liveline

Warfield is a moron. All he ever does is waffle ignorantly over others. That’s why he’s brought on, to create car crash radio in an era of information where people crave car crash listening.

It’s actually a pity because the Wolfe Tones despite their moronic blather have actually written some good songs in their time.

Yes exactly, it was all very entertaining.

The pity was he didn’t even challenge Joe really. Be better if he’d defend his songs or his positions instead of avoiding every question and blathering a load of whataboutery at anything.

As you said it was car crash stuff,there was 4 people shouting over each other at one stage.Id switched on in the middle so I didn’t realise it was your man from the Wolf Tones shoutyat Joe,I thought it was @Corksfinedtboy for a while

5 Likes

People crave car crash listening for kicks, to give them a laugh during the day, but it only makes people more stupid in the end.

Those who understand Warfield and his ilk have no serious arguments already understood that a long time ago.

Having him on only deepens the moronic nature of his followers.

It’s the same dynamic with Trump, Farage and all the other pied piper bigots. Trump spouts racist, bigoted shite and his racist, bigoted followers lap it up.

You’re probably right. I’m happy enough to enjoy it for what it is but it’s probably dangerous for the likes of the TFK awkward squad and other such stupid people.

While they’ve played stirring renditions of many classic rebel songs they’ve written very few good songs.

Streets of New York and Joe McDonnell are two of the greatest ballads ever written

3 Likes

Who wrote the Streets of New York?

Liam Reily
Allow me to rephrase
Joe McDonnell is one of the greatest ballads ever written

2 Likes

You may rephrase.

Maith thú

Let The People Sing is a great song. I’m also partial to Monsignor Horan, Flow Liffey Waters and Banna Strand.

And I’m also partial to a good few others, in truth. The Celtic Symphony is a good song musically but it’s come to represent something very nasty in modern Irish society. Then again, in reality the Wolfe Tones probably always represented that nastiness. They were a band that appealed to the sneaking regarder in people, a sort of escape into a place where you knew you probably shouldn’t go, but couldn’t help doing so sometimes.

I’m probably partial to a bit of the Wolfe Tones because me oul’ fella used to regularly play a tape of their 25th Anniversary compilation in the car, particularly when we’d be driving back across the Dublin mountains on long summer evenings after playing pitch and putt in Glencullen circa 1992/1993/1994, so when I hear some of those songs, I think of those long summer evenings and looking over towards the Sugar Loaf or driving over the Military Road in the dusk. Me oul’ fella would regularly complain about the lyrics of Banna Strand. There’s a lyric “It was on Good Friday Morning, all in the month of May”. The pedant in him would come out. “Good Friday can’t be in May. I don’t know why they didn’t change it. All they need to change it to was “It was on Good Friday morning, just after break of day.”” He’d get quite exercised about this.

The attempts to seriously defend some of the songs now though and the context in which they’re sung are laughable.

I find Joe McDonnell an awful dirge in the same way I find Grace a dirge.

1 Like

Nolan was reading out the lyrics to the SAM song on radio yesterday… Jesus it brought me back to more innocent times.

1 Like

I preferred their early stuff.

I’ve more respect myself
Rather go on Nolan live before the ballyfermot plamaser

2 Likes

It’s not the songs it’s the ppl they’re singing about ( j Mc Donnell etc and other brave Irishmen who fir their beliefs that they should be treated as political prisoners they starved themselves to death)

So you sought out something which you knew would both offend you and also confirm your previously-held opinion. Good day’s work.

You fucking mug.

Get back to protecting those ATM’s.

2 Likes