Joey Barton

In police custody since the early hours of this morning on suspicion of assault.

From BBC:

Barton arrested in assault probe

The England midfielder was one of three people arrested
Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been arrested by police in Liverpool following an alleged assault.

The footballer was arrested along with a 19-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman on Church Street in the city centre at 0530 GMT.

Merseyside Police confirmed the three were being held in custody.

A spokesman said: ā€œAll three remain in custody for interview and processing and I expect a decision on charges or release will be made later tonight.ā€

What a scumbag this lad is. Heā€™s a menace to society

Barton Fink. Barton Fink!!!

I reckon Barton would take Flano easily enough in a fist-fight. Flanoā€™s probably a better midfield player though.

Iā€™d batter Barton. I wouldnt be bothered getting involved in a fist fight though. Baseball bat square on his loaf of bread. I am a better midfielder too. Never applied my magnificent talent though

Brings shame on Warren Barton.

Heā€™s going to miss games now as heā€™s been remanded in custody. What an idiot for even being out at that time of night given the busy Christmas football schedule, and thatā€™s whether heā€™s innocent or not. From BBC:

Barton remanded on assault charge

The England midfielder was one of three people arrested

Newcastle and England midfielder Joey Barton has been remanded in custody charged with assault.

The footballer, 25, is accused of common assault and affray and appeared before Liverpool magistrates following an incident in Church Street.

He was arrested on Thursday with his brother Andrew, 19, and Nadine Wilson, 27, from Huyton, Merseyside.

The player will reappear on 3 January and misses the visit to Chelsea and Wednesdayā€™s tie with Manchester City.

The court was told that CCTV operators tracked Mr Barton and a group of his friends in Church Street at 0530 GMT on Thursday.

A confrontation was said to have taken place in a McDonaldā€™s restaurant.

The player, of Widnes, Cheshire, was outside when an unknown man made a gesture towards him.

Gwyn Lewis, defending, said he was the victim of a ā€œgreat deal of provocationā€ and was being ā€œgoadedā€ in the street.

A girl in his group was then assaulted in the street.

The goading was said to have taken the form of taunting over the conviction of his half-brother Michael for the murder of Anthony Walker in 2005.

He deserves a jail sentence the thug. To think Liverpool nearly signed him back when Benny took over.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7169108.stm

Bartonā€™s been jailed for 6 months for assault and affray in relation to this case. He still has the outstanding case in relation to his alleged attack on Ousmane Dabo too.

Do we know any more about the nature of the assault? Did he hit someone a slap or did he kick the shit out of someone?

always had a bit of sympathy for barton probably as i rate him as a footballerā€¦

he is total scum unfortunately thoughā€¦whatever about one/possibly 2 indisgressions but this must be the fourth or fifthā€¦think he has ran out of chances and deserves a custodial sentenceā€¦believe his brother is in prison for the murder of damilola taylor(or a similar imfamous murder a few years agoā€¦

hopefully prison might sort him out but i dont think it willā€¦ddint richard dunne break his hand or foot off barton trying to break up a row joey was inā€¦think it was out on an asian tour(could well have been the same time joey put the cigar out in that young lads eye)ā€¦

Yeah that was the time alright. Loads of young lads lose the head a bit and go off the rails and Dunne would have been a bit like that himself. What Barton gets up to though seems to be far more of the scumbag variety. Heā€™s not just out getting drunk all the time, heā€™s getting drunk and picking fights. Seems like a prick, Iā€™d say City are glad they sold him.

by the sounds of the report, he held down a lad and boxed the shit out of him, and then started punching a 16 year old in the face. Probably a bit sensationalised reporting after the courtcase, but just sounded like he was a right scumbag who wanted to beat up whoever was near him. His half brother is in jail alright for killing a guy with an axe. Always played like a scumbag, and looks like it reflected him off the pitch too. He wasnt too liked in the England camp either when he was last called up, think he was having a go at Lampard and Gerrard saying they were shite and he was the man. He went off at a fan in Aisa and was fined 8 weeks wages and sent home early. And at a christmas party he put out a cigarette on a players eye. and then the final straw at city with the training ground fight.

His brother is in jail for killing a guy with an axe alright but it happened to be a black guy who, by all accounts, was killed for that very reasonā€¦

Absolute scumā€¦

Just because his brother killed someone it doesnā€™t automatically follow that the ladā€™s a scumbag. However, his own actions have confirmed that he is in fact a scumbag alright.

I was referring to the brother when I called him ā€˜absolute scumā€™ā€¦

Think its his half brother or a brother who he hadnt seen in 10 or 15 years or something. They werenā€™t close at all from what I remember.

Just reading the reports, as gman said, he gave a lad a proper beating whereas I had previously assumed he threw a few shapes and was involved in a bit of a scrap.

Barton having a go at Gareth Barry in particular today. :lol:

From The Guardian:

England will ā€˜never winā€™ the World Cup, says Newcastleā€™s Joey Barton

ā€¢ ā€˜Weā€™re too focused on tradition in England,ā€™ says Barton
ā€¢ Criticises Gareth Barry and national sideā€™s midfield

Newcastleā€™s Joey Barton has said England need to ā€˜experimentā€™ if they are to win the World Cup. Photograph: Lee Smith/Action Images
Newcastle Unitedā€™s Joey Barton has said England will ā€œnever winā€ the World Cup, and dismissed Gareth Barryā€™s role in the midfield as evidence of a lack of talent.

ā€œFrance killed us at Wembley,ā€ Barton said. "We English will play the next 50 World Cups and weā€™ll never win one. The people in charge at the FA played football maybe 50 or 60 years ago and still think that we can win a World Cup in the same way we did in 1966.

ā€œWeā€™re too focused on tradition in England, like always having to play 4-4-2. Sometimes you need to experiment, drop a bit deeper so you have more space to move into. France, Italy and Germany have done it. Weā€™ve been doing the same thing for 20 years,ā€ he added in an interview with the French So Foot magazine.

Barton won just one England cap, in 2007 against Spain, but still believes he has a role to play in Fabio Capelloā€™s team: ā€œHonestly, I think Iā€™m the best [English midfielder]. Luka Modric and Samir Nasri are very good, but in terms of English players ā€¦ Well, Jack Wilshere isnā€™t bad, but Frank Lampardā€™s on the way down and Steven Gerrardā€™s been injured a lot.ā€

He backed this argument, with criticism of Gareth Barry: "Did you see the game against Germany at the World Cup? If you watch the fourth goal, when [Mesut] Ozil was up against Barry, it was like the hare and the tortoise.

ā€œBarryā€™s got a very good agent. Heā€™s also discreet and always agrees with the manager. Heā€™s like the guy who sits in the front row and listens to the teacher. I certainly donā€™t lose any sleep when I play against him.ā€

He also emphasised the 2-1 defeat to France in November: ā€œLook at Jordan Henderson [against France],ā€ he said. "He was up against [Yann] Mā€™Vila, [Mathieu] Valbuena, Nasri and [Yoann] Gourcuff. And he had Gareth Barry alongside him. What could they do against those players?

Nonetheless the player remains keen to lend a hand to Capello: ā€œIā€™m English and I love playing for my country. Maybe the people at the top have a problem with me. I donā€™t know. But the trouble I had was four years ago. They should be able to forgive, shouldnā€™t they?ā€ he said.

Barton also had a word of warning for his club as they attempt to thrash out a deal to keep him at St Jamesā€™ Park. The 28-year-old was understood to be ready to put pen to paper on a new deal in January when Tyneside was stunned as the striker Andy Carroll was sold to Liverpool for Ā£35m.

He and the and club have repeatedly spoken of their hopes of striking a deal since, although they are currently at odds over the length of the proposed contract. However, the player says he will only stay if he feels the club is moving forward.

ā€œI told them I might stay this summer because we have some good players and money to spend,ā€ added Barton. ā€œBut Iā€™m going to wait and see if players like Kevin Nolan, Cheick TiotĆ© and JosĆ© Enrique stay. If Nolan signs a new deal, I will as well. But I hope the club step things up. I want to be ambitious and I think the club share that desire.ā€