John Delaney/ tugging off half the forum

I’m genuinely not as I never made any claim about Europa League progression in relation to Delaney’s reign and I haven’t pointed to any Europa League statistics. I think you’ve imagined this aspect of our interaction.

What actually happened was that you made a false claim in response to somebody else about LOI teams gaining automatic Europa League qualification. I corrected you on this as LOI clubs don’t gain automatic entry to either the Europa League or indeed the Champions League. They have to progress through the pre-qualifying rounds. That was the extent of it.

You tried to bring in the diversion of how a separate and amateur sporting body organises one of their competitions instead of staying on topic and now, as I say, you’re trying to argue a point with me that I never made.

In fairness there are often visiting dignitaries at these things and this sort of behaviour makes it look like the soccer fraternity lacks solidarity and that is not good for the brand.

:poop:

Maybe. Maybe you’re correct and everybody else is wrong so.

That actually means good luck in its original Japanese setting.

The Japs know their shit alright.

3 Likes

:ok_hand:

Not really true, the unit comprises of volunteers, of which I am one.

2 Likes

I think you’re struggling to understand the difference between sealing automatic qualification to the Champions League and/or Europa League and sealing a place in the qualification rounds for same.

A practical / worked example might assist you.

Celtic won the SPFL last season and the season before. This didn’t mean they automatically qualified for the Champions League. Instead it meant that they sealed a place in the qualifying rounds for the competition. They successfully negotiated the three qualifying rounds to gain entry to the Champions League this season. As a result, Celtic have competed in the Champions League this season.

Last season Celtic lost in one of the pre-qualifying rounds, didn’t qualify for the Champions League and thus missed out on the associated revenues of competing in the CL. Nobody claims Celtic gained automatic CL qualification via winning the league in either of the two seasons, because they didn’t.

The Europa League works along similar lines. Dundalk gained qualification to it by virtue of progressing through some CL qualifying rounds but losing the last one to Legia Warsaw. However, Cork City and St Pat’s lost earlier on and didn’t progress. The result is that Dundalk have earned revenues which dwarf the other two this season because they progressed to the Europa League and the others did not.

Enda Kenny is the third highest paid PM in the EU, Delaney earns more than his Italian and Spanish counterparts combined. We’re a great little country to reward mediocrity.

1 Like

Not at all.

They’re into the qualification stages of the competition title The Europe League/ Champions League.

The original claim was that LOI teams are regular in the The Europa League. I refuted this by saying that they automatically qualify for this.

You’re trying to differentiate between qualifying for the Qualification Phase of the competition and automatically qualifying for the Group stages of the competition.

Participating teams and media outlets don’t make the same distinction as you.

It’s all here in the competition Rules if that makes it easier for you to grasp.

Champions League: http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/35/87/89/2358789_DOWNLOAD.pdf

The Europa League link is here. http://www.uefa.org/MultimediaFiles/Download/Regulations/uefaorg/Regulations/02/23/69/59/2236959_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Dundalk got to the latter stages of the European cup before he was appointed and they can’t even get out of their pool in the Europa league now. That’s a staggering decline

Headshot.

Mr Delaney has to promote a sport that is seen by many as the game of British occupancy .

Literally every team and media outlet in Europe does.

It’s why Dundalk’s sporting achievement and financial reward is greater than Cork’s and St Pat’s.

It’s why Celtic’s European performance this season was significantly better than last season.

No distinction between qualifying rounds and competition proper. :laughing:

Incorrect. Please actually read the examples from media outlets above and the competition rules.

You’re embarrassing yourself here.

Wrong. Co-efficient point weightings / value of games in terms of future seedlings, sponsorship / advertising revenues, TV / other media broadcasting rights are separate and distinct between qualifying rounds and competitions proper.

the most popular sport in Ireland according to @gilgamboa

hurling doesnt make the top 5 -lolz

Now you’re trying to justify your argument by saying that there’s a different reward (or price you have to pay for broadcasting rights) based on the stage of the competition that you reach - that’s completely nonsensical.

The prize money for the entire competition is broken down here. http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/news/newsid=2398584.html

Have a lie down there.

Five a sides , pub teams , Sky subscriptions , barstoolers and 'rastoolers. But bar the old gassisons towns lacking community roots. Delaney deserves credit.