Johnny Giles

GilRoy is a wanker. Have they gotten ridden of the Boylesports stuff?

1 Like

Mcdevitt is top class.

Like Wolly probably another ageist cunt. Itā€™s a sad indictment of present day life that sporting legends are opened to ridicule by the likes of Parkinson and Gilroy on national radio

2 Likes

The last time I heard Giles ramble on news talk I was thinking to myself surely some of Giles family would step in and take him out of the lime light. Heā€™s on dunphys podcast too and its hilarious stuff.

It fills twenty minutes for them.

Ah leave him be lads.
Heā€™s an ould fella nowā€¦maybe this is what is keeping him going. .he has earned that right I believe

11 Likes

I listen to Giles on The Stand podcast regularly. He has his flaws (his knowledge of players outside of EPL is very limited) but overall I enjoy his no bullshit analysis. He does not complicate or speak in jargon which is way too common in punditry now. Maybe it is because I live abroad and have a yearning for familiarity but I find his no nonsense style on The Stand refreshing.

6 Likes

Giles was a brilliant analyst, best I ever saw to read a game. So the likes of murph ridiculing him is laughable.

1 Like

He won 2 club all Irelandā€™s with a worse team than Borrisleigh??

1 Like

From chatting to Tipperary relations he would not have been highly regarded hurling wise in Borrisoleigh.

Wouldnā€™t agree at all. Most people around my age think of him as a babbling idiot. Thatā€™s his legacy at the moment and the longer it goes on the more humilating it gets for him. I think thatā€™s quite sad. He should have retired gracefully a few years ago when he was respected and remembered fondly. Rte made the correct decision to cut him loose

1 Like

They are very good on the stand but that isnā€™t really analysis itā€™s more just story telling. On newstalk heā€™s commenting on games he clearly hasnā€™t watched. The stand usually turns into ā€œin my dayā€. Dunphy reappointed himself as a Spanish football expert. Brady doesnā€™t say too much but Giles is in his comfort zone. The newstalk gig is totally different.

Donā€™t know anything about how he was regarded in Borrisoleigh but any time he played for Cuala in those games he looked well off the pace

I hope you offer the same sympathies to stick stick and bog- ball pundits at that age.

Mikes value system is quite flexible.

seeing them in their 30ā€™s is bad enough for me
Paul ahem Flynn

thatā€™s harsh commentary on Giles from a few of the uninitiated above
as far as i know he is no longer with the national broadcaster due to his age and as far as im aware NT and the stand are private enterprises that choose to have him on.
lads can turn him off if they want - for example i would rarely listen to him at all if i wanted to hear any decent analysis - heā€™s just an ould lad taking about football and spinning yarns - old men are known to do that and a few of them probably enjoy the radio and id say would tune in to himā€¦ heā€™s not a bumbling idiot or whatever to them - heā€™s not to me either

4 Likes

Iā€™d agree with you - if someone wants to have him on their show for a chat then why shouldnt he take them up.

That would be better craic than Brexit

Iā€™d still prefer to listen to John Giles than to the likes of Thornley, Toland and Jackman. At lest Giles has the excuse of mileage for talking absolute nonsense.

As long as they keep paying him Johnny will keep going and why not. Itā€™s not like he has to put an enormous amount of prep in or anything. He barely even watches football at this stage from what I can tell