Johnny Giles

Heā€™s 78.

He sounded very muddled, it was painful to listen to. He would be talking about something and two minutes later heā€™d contradict what he had just said, describing his parents especially his father and was rambling on about a story when his father met Stanley Matthews and how he said Stanley hadnā€™t a clue about football, how his father didnā€™t suffer fools, he then goes on talking about how his father was easily sucked in by people he used meet in pubs and believe every word they told him. talking about how young footballers now are different than his time - in his time footballers were being signed at 14/15 and theyā€™d leave school, these days footballers donā€™t get signed until their 19 because they get their education first before they go into pro football, the next minute he talks about clubs signing 13/14 year olds and putting them through education - he was all over the shop

2 Likes

I saw a headline on one of the red tops last weekend where Giles commented that Man Utd should sack Solksjaer and replace him with Roy Keane.

:exploding_head:

Donā€™t know why OTB continue with his slot on the show. He talks so much garbage itā€™s like the whole thing is a piss take of Giles. Itā€™s not even a debate, he just rants on for 20 minutes unchallenged. OTB should do the right thing and cut him loose

2 Likes

They have been ridiculously indulgent of him, almost as justification for how much they lauded him when he was slightly more relevant and clued in when he was first on the show. OTB fancy themselves as a new age media but itā€™s a very RTƉ type trait to hang on to old personalities at the expense of better content. You wouldnā€™t see it happening here - dinosaurs like @caoimhaoin and @anon95599269 were swiftly moved on from TFK when their observations grew tired and outdated.

18 Likes

I see the TFK ageist crew and out in force

1 Like

And you see what London GAA Board have done with Ciaran Deely today for entertaining absolute shite talk from the likes of Kev on twitter day after day.

3 Likes

New age media :joy:, Gilroy is a obnoxious moron and while the other fella they have on in the morning seems fairly clued in heā€™s very annoying and has a stupid voice.

The hurling podcast is cringe, Shane Stapleton trying to pretend heā€™s a bogger behind that accent with some other muldoons from Offaly fulfilling the GAA mucksavage sterotype.

4 Likes

Will is a decent sort.

I new Giles was done when he reckoned england should pick bale at left back

2 Likes

Which fella is he?

Not the hurler. Verney hurled for Birr and Offaly iirc. Stapleton is a self indulgent stones of a man.

@Watchyourtoes mentioned that apes name yesterday. Heā€™s a total stones.

Verney was the Offaly muldoon I was on about, the third fella (will I presume) doesnā€™t seem to bad

Stapleton wouldnā€™t be within an asses roar of the Borrisoleigh senior team if he still lived in Tipperary

Will is a decent sort, former midlands radio sport, current OTB. Also an Offaly man.

ā€œI was talking to the brother there at the weekendā€¦ā€

2 Likes

Iā€™d imagine Gilroy is the sort of cunt who would be sniggering behind the mic condescendingly while Giles is off on one of his rambling stories about how it was back in his day.

It was hard to take him seriously as a hurling journalist when he blew so much smoke up his brotherā€™s hole when he was playing.

1 Like

A friend of mine told me that ridiculing Giles was a regular occurrence in office conversation between certain people at a certain radio station

Some of these people may no longer work for said station