Kev

In a week that’s been tinged with sadness after Faldos passing, the last 20 odd posts on this thread put a smile on my face. Its the TFK way, you never truly leave the place.

8 Likes

Is this the @caoimhaoin that left here because he needed to fade out of public view?

1 Like

No. This place had nothing more to offer him. In fairness, he wanted more exposure and has used the time he would have spent here expanding his profile in the gaa s +c world. And wow how he has gone about it.

The people Kev knows thread made me laugh every second day.

4 Likes

I disagree. If memory serves me right he took on a role where he couldn’t express his views on certain topics publicly. Perhaps he has moved on since then.

Left for his own reasons, nothing to do with expressing views. He felt like he may as well be saying the same shite on twitter with like minded S&C people and also promoting his work. More power to him.

6 Likes

For quite a few years now, there is a strange tendency with hurling managers/coaches/trainers of Munster origin not to play full size games in training. This tendency has been rippling through all counties, because most people only feel secure if they are copying a so called big name. Harry Kehoe recently said Davy Fitzgerald never played even one 15 on 15 game in his five seasons with Wexford. I know The Rower-Inistioge were baffled by Peter Queally’s similar approach when he managed them for a year. The same reaction dropped in Dicksboro last year to Páraic Fanning’s similar approach.

Yer man’s absolutist tone on Twitter about developing hurling ability and skill solely through constraints games is representative – and durably risible. Constraints games are lovely, of course, for lads who have no intrinsic understanding of hurling – or maybe no intrinsic understanding of anything, except the effect, acoustically, of repetition.

Drills and constraints games are a perfectly valid part of hurling preparation. Part. You can hone certain skills – specifically, handpasses/throws and short stick passes – through these avenues. But other skills will lie unfostered, unless full size games are likewise part of the programme.

This factor became an issue for Ballyhale Shamrocks. They did little or no full size hurling in training over the last two seasons, which was a severe departure from well tried and well tested club practices. The amount of long or longish clearances that hung in the air, advantaging the defender, became a significant case in point. Recall the manner in which Fintan Burke was able to defend certain high balls in the All Ireland semi final. You cannot practice a 60 or a 70 yard delivery in a constraints game, oversight that ultimately coarsens your attacking options. A zipped front front delivery, of whatever height, will commit even a capable defender’s body weight, leading to goal chances.

Obsessing about constraints games ultimately blunts, individually and collectively, a hurling panel’s development. But this penny will never drop with certain lads, since they are doing nicely out of ego and ignorance. Meanwhile Paul Kinnerk, I would guess, does employ periods of full size hurling in his sessions. I would make the same guess about Michael Bevans, Tommy Dunne, Darragh Egan and Eamon O’Shea. And these figures are all, somehow, from Munster. I know this balanced emphasis is there with Richie O’Neill and Henry Shefflin.

19 Likes

Kev transcended tfk

1 Like

I remember hearing Eamon O’Shea playing 15 on 15 in between the two 45s and the two 65s for periods in training. I presume to quicken their thinking under pressure and speed of striking. I agree with your point about 60/70 yards clearances. The only way to properly work on them is in a full game situation. Numbers would often dictate why we never played 15 v 15 in training which is not an issue for the better counties.

4 Likes

Poor Joxer thrown under the bus after losing one game of note in 2 years to a last gasp goal for the ages.

1 Like

Highly interesting, thanks. EO’S does not get half enough credit.

Ballyhale Shamrocks, preparing for local championship action in 2014 and then for outside action, sometimes played 16 or 17 a side. Sometimes with seven on seven at the A end, with three in midfield. The idea was to force people to move the ball quickly.

Another neglected aspect of full size games is the ability to test a player in training. You can assess an individual’s touch in drills and constraints games but not his readiness for battle. We had a player coming back into the side in 2014. He was put marking Colin Fennelly, Michael Fennelly, TJ Reid and Henry Shefflin on successive evenings. By the end of those four sessions, we had a fair idea about his readiness. An important side effect is that you have also demonstrated to his rivals for a starting spot the fairness of starting him.

4 Likes

Not many clubs can test a player like that!

12 Likes

EO’S is brilliant. Always thinking outside the box.

8 Likes

Full 15 a side games often go to shit fairly quickly as a lot of lads don’t bother doing the unselfish stuff that they would do in an actual game and forwards run riot. Probably different with a club operating at the level of Ballyhale though

You have an awful habit of revealing how you look at the world by such comments. Did you not see the Leinster games and the All Ireland semi final?

JO’C is a sound man – and good luck to him. But you do not get many cases of sunburn on the roof of mouths in the parish of Ballyhale.

Twas a pity they didn’t win that 14 final. Probably the most enjoyable Tipp team to watch.

2 Likes

Look, fuck off. You have nothing to contribute.

Egos never leave the days of Lego.

They were brilliant on their day. As you said a really enjoyable side to follow.

1 Like

I just did contribute mate

Go back to the Lego.

Mate.