Kev

Well, I suppose Lego could not fit up your hole, due to the impediment of your head.

1 Like

From a Tipp point of view 09. Tipp played some great stuff in patches. But overall I’m not sure.

1 Like

Ballyhale played as well as they could have in the Leinster final and All Ireland final.

Against Thomas’s I didn’t think they were that bad and in the Kilkenny county final I thought they played fairly well.

I missed the Rynagh’s and MLR games but I imagine the interrupted preparation of stags, weddings and celebrations had more to do with that than Joxer’s training methods.

I don’t understand your last bit there about sunburn on roofs. What’s that about? Sounds interesting.

I was simply, after making a statement of fact, drawing a hurling moral. For the reasons mentioned, I do not believe you can have optimum hurling preparation without using some full size hurling games. People can agree or disagree but I reckon my logic is clear and my common sense solid.

If you think Ballyhale Shamrocks performed anywhere near 100% at any point this last season, you are, to my mind, a most unperceptive watcher of hurling.

Good luck to Ballygunner. They won it fair and square.

Do you think Ballyhale were better vs Slaughtneil and Borrisileigh in 2020 than they were last Saturday?

I’m not so sure.

11 different scorers from play last week…Reid x2 at their best…

They just got sucker punched by a Ballygunner team that were also very good.

Agree strongly with @Malarkey here.

As an average club forward myself we spent sessions doing repetitive shooting drills unopposed often on the front foot followed by a possession game.

You simply cannot replicate hitting shots in 15v15 games even if it means marking a lesser player.

SSG do have their place in improving specific skills at certain times but some coaches are obsessed.

2 Likes

Or, mostly, for the vast majority of clubs who can’t get 30 down training.

2 Likes

I am talking about optimum rather than relative (“better”) performance. The reasons behind this slippage are far from solely the fault of JO’C. Nor do you seem able/willing to grasp my point. Crux: are you claiming optimum preparation is possible without some full size hurling in training?

The other stuff about stags, the side of the mouth stuff you love, is irrelevant to my (fairly straightforward) point.

True enough, too, in fairness.

1 Like

Nice to have so practical an agreement, thanks.

Now spool that thought to top level intercounty preparation. Daft.

1 Like

I agree 15v15 games are better than drills.

I just thought using Ballyhale as an example and throwing Joxer under the bus was unfair.

15 on 15 up in our pitch in Kinvara yesterday with Richie running the show. (we’ve about the only dry pitch left in the county).

1 Like

Who the fuck has 30 at training

4 Likes

Am talking about business end of the year.

I am not throwing anyone under any bus. Was making a general point via a concrete example.

I’m not a hurling coach (football), but I do agree that the absence of full sized games at training can lead to a failure to replicate real match situations, in particular the transition from defence to attack. I’ve yet to come up with a game that properly replicates that.

For me the issue would be we just wouldn’t have the numbers to play a 15 a side game, not a reluctance to play them.

4 Likes

I agree with @Malarkey on the importance of 15 v 15. For club teams with smaller numbers a comprehensive programme of challenge games can work very well. Preferably against opposition from outside your own county.

5 Likes

Ah no, I know that. Most clubs, before the business end, are same boat.

Really sharply put, thanks. Could not agree more on challenge games outside the county. We always preferred to organize one with a Tipperary club. Then a good challenge gives you stuff to work on over the next couple of training sessions.

3 Likes

Richie is really diligent and good.