Kev

Kiladangan.

It was bleak up there yesterday morning but the quality of play was good. Huge emphasis on working goals.

Obviously 15 v 15 doesn’t apply to kids. Small games of 4/5 aside ensuring everyone is getting a touch is the way to go.

One thing I noticed – coaching U14s, say – is the value of making a practical point immediately after the situation had arisen in a game. One I particularly remember is mentioning to a young lad crossing the ball from near the endline in one of the corner forward positions that he should angle the ball out a bit rather than hit it across flat, because his forwards cannot be in the square and because you will have a better chance of avoiding the backs’ legs (who will be rushing back and then thrown off balance by an angled ball). You could see they ‘got’ the exact point of taking this option.

Some years later, I was delighted to meet Johnny McGovern, one of the Kilkenny greats, and hear him tell me, as we discussed detail, he had been instructed as a youngster, in 1940s Bennettsbridge, to do the exact same thing from such positions. Most of the important stuff is common sense.

1 Like

Definitely, with kids. Whole different ball game, so to speak. They need a graduated approach.

1 Like

I was flat out doing small condition games with my 15s until I realised they struggled to strike the ball unopposed and basic skills were way off. I do think we are all striving for Limerick ball skills but the average club team can never achieve that and the basics are being lost to some extent.
Problem with young fellas in Dublin is simple. They don’t do enough hurling. I have lads on a Monday, Friday and game the weekend. See them on the following Monday and then won’t see them for a week. They won’t have picked up a hurl in between. My 13 year old nephew in KK is further ahead than my 15s in Dublin in terms of striking.

12 Likes

I was talking to someone last night, and the Fitzgibbon final came up and we both agreed it was hopeless stuff.

The conversation developed into why all the young lads these days are useless. Anyway my pal has a theory there’s not enough Ground Hurling these days at underage. Back in the halcyon days of the early to mid 2000’s there’d be under 8/10 ground Hurling blitzes right across Munster every Saturday morning. That sort of died out in the last decade apparently.

Ground Hurling at underage is great to develop wrists. The Callanan’s, Reid’s, Hogan’s, Hoggies, Tony Kelly, Austin Gleesons of this world all have wrists the current under 23’s could only dream of.

Even the ‘effective’ players at Fitz/Underage level these days are as awkward as fuck.

5 Likes

And there you have it… Wise words, simple words. The young lads whom I have seen improve a lot over the years in my parish had a hurl nearly welded to their hands.

And you have a so called trainer telling former intercounty hurlers on The Internet they did not improve – could not improve – through hitting a ball against the wall. Sure what would Justin McCarthy know about hurling by comparison with yer man…

6 Likes

I told my lads last week, pure and simple, they will not improve from what I’m doing unless they’re doing more themselves no matter how good a training session I put on.
I had them for a full year last year and I know the lads that have improved are lads that are doing more than I’m giving them.
Art of defending is also being lost as it’s seen as too basic. Before I was involved my lads didn’t i enough know about hooking or blocking really. All of them would not know the art of flicking away the ball etc.

2 Likes

That’s Dublin Hurling’s big weakness.

Young lads in KK, North Tipp, South Galway etc know nothing but hurling off a wall or at lunch or going to see their club play a Junior challenge on a Thursday evening.

You can’t replicate that.

Well thats absolute nonsense considering most of the go games at u7/8 are all ground hurling only

3 Likes

No under 14 or 15 schools team in their local school. This is div 1 hurling in Dublin. Fighting a losing battle. Conditions game the least of our problems.

Also, the general skills of younger players are way higher than 10 years ago tbh.

1 Like

They would want to be

That’s just kev being kev. You missed the time he threw his tools in a skip.
He’s a great lad, but you wouldn’t want to hang your hat on absolute accuracy**

** You just don’t get it fella

3 Likes

I don’t know how you can make that out.

Watch the Fitzgibbon Final or Munster Minor/Under 21 finals from 2011 and then watch the 2021/22 equivalents and come back to me.

In 2011, ASR played Flannans in a Harty Semi final that was a proper epic. What I saw in the Harty this year was a mile off it.

1 Like

The big problem Dublin have really is that in some schools it’s rugby makes you cock of the walk, in some soccer, and in a few football. Hurling, not so much. It’s all about the ladies at that age one way or another.
Sigmund Freud, a great hurling man, wrote about this.

1 Like

Lack of teachers bothered the problem here.

1 Like

It was freezing, wet and windy, and ruined by a ref wanting to be centre of attention. The players are individually excellent.

A bit chicken and egg.

Yeah barring both the 1st team and the Junior team are going well late in championship then it’s nigh on impossible to have 30 lads down at training for rural clubs. Great buzz the rare time it does happen though. Playing a match like that is far more enjoyable than any drills.

1 Like