Kevin myers- an alright sort

seems puke was right all along

just on tv praising the fantastic atmosphere when rovers play at tallaght

Big GAA fan too :clap:

A king amongst men

Tribal bigotry is not a response to IRA violence – it was there before

IT was good of the UVF thugs of East Belfast to give me a cue with which to follow my Fenian column of yesterday (which, as it happens I had started before the unprovoked attack on the Short Strand). For we should be clear about this; the culture of the Billy-Boy tribal bigot predates the emergence of Fenianism as a powerful force amongst the Catholic working classes of Belfast and Glasgow.

Paradoxically, the rabble-rousing leaders of these drunken louts have usually been teetotal clergymen, such as Roaring Hanna and Ian Paisley. The compulsory Sunday closing of pubs was once a primary element of their identity – provided that their own drinking clubs were allowed to remain open. Logic is never the strong point of any strongly held tribal identity, but particularly so for these people, who have remained locked in a historical enigma wherein they are ‘British’, though living in Ireland, and generally lawless though they ‘loyally’ support the Crown, and sober in their general political aspiration, though usually enough drunk at the time.

They have a church, too. In their illiterate and incoherent scheme of things, Calvary is probably a collective for horses and maybe Gethsemane is something mysterious that happens in a sperm-bank. No, their real religion is Rangers Football Club.

Glasgow Rangers is the sporting icon for loyalist bigots. The club’s own words are irreproachably neutral. It is law-abiding. It is patriotically British. Its outward message is of harmony and ecumenism. But to the large thug element amongst the Rangers fans the key to their identity is almost like the Third Secret of Fatima. It is this: NO FENIANS here.

There is a congenial, indeed government-backed myth, in both Scotland and in Ireland, that “one side is bad as another”: that Sinn Fein-IRA are pretty much the same as the UDA/UVF. This is simply untrue. There is no republican equivalent to the Romper Rooms of the UDA, wherein men were routinely beaten to a pulp by loyalist thugs, and from which both the term and the practice became celebrated. And then there was Lenny Murphy and his merry gang, the Shankill Butchers, who for years in the mid-1970s abducted, tortured and murdered Catholics – usually by cutting their victims’ throats.

This culture did not emerge simply as a response to IRA violence. It was there already. It was feckless, violent, drunken, lost, lumpen proletarians for whom a perverted tribal identity conjoined with a Godlessly Calvinist sense of superiority, even as they stewed in their ghettoes of suffocating illiteracy and economic failure. But they were nonetheless elevated by the insane delusion that they are the chosen people, who have been deprived of their birthright by some vast conspiracy between the Catholic Church and the British government.

This psychiatric condition affects almost an entire under-caste, thereby placing their minds and aspirations almost beyond ordinary analysis.

This Sunday, it will be 45 years since their hero, Gusty Spence, murdered the teenage barman Peter Ward and seriously wounded William Doyle in the Malvern Street shootings. Thus the Troubles got under way. (Nineteen years later, the Catholic barrister who had defended Spence at his trial, also called William Doyle, was shot dead by the IRA for the hideous crime of being a judge. And so it goes.)

Now we know: these Troubles of ours haven’t gone away, you know. And they’re at it again in East Belfast, with a lost tribe of illiterate, paranoid barbarians wandering the bleak landscape of their own brutal imaginations, about no purpose that any one of them could possibly explain. Except they probably know this is a period of rather enjoyable violence, before the much-loved Orange marches – plus riots, with luck – can begin.

And next comes Rangers’ first match of the season, to be followed by a night of paralytic alcoholism, and rounded off, no doubt, with a complete short-term memory lapse. (This is called “culture”, by the way.)

For once, let history be our guide. Our political classes must not be swayed by the violence of these cretins.

Myers right for once.

Good piece on this in the IT today as well:

Brave article from Myers - dont think he will be welcome in Belfast for a while after it. Have heard accounts that he shagged all round him when he was there during the Troubles.

Most of those accounts come, surprisingly, from one Kevin Myers. not that he’s one to blow his own trumpet.

“Rangers is full of lads who have played Gaelic: there are five in the squad that Aaron’s joining, three Dublin fellas and one from Omagh, and three or four of the Rangers scouts had Celtic tattoos on them,” said Michael.

[size=4] How can we have let two key war criminals of 20th Century in Dail?[/size]

[size=4]By Kevin Myers[/size]
[size=4]Tuesday January 01 2013[/size]

[size=4]For anyone to be remotely surprised by the allegation that Dessie Ellis is responsible for 50 deaths is merely proof of how successful that great toxic lie, the peace process, has actually been. Through default, and through artful manipulation, the IRA war that took some 4,000 lives has been transformed into a Civil Rights Campaign, in which the only terrorism was by the beastly Brits, and their loyalist allies; and so the litany effortlessly trips off a Shinner’s tongue: Internment Day, Bloody Sunday, Widgery, Shoot To Kill, Collusion.[/size]
[size=4]In this grisly distortion of the truth, the Disappeared are truly Disappeared. No one really doubts that the IRA alone abducted people, murdered and buried them secretly.[/size]
[size=4]Yet that reality has vanished amid the generalised Shinner myth-making: indeed almost no one under the age of 30 today has any concept whatever of the ghastly reality of the IRA’s singularly brutal and utterly counter-productive war. At the centre of that war was what is now known as the Improvised Explosive Device. The prime innovator in that IED technology was Dessie Ellis, convicted bomb-maker and today, TD for Dublin North-West.[/size]
[size=4]The claims in British state papers that he was responsible for 50 murders are probably based on a common preference for nice, round figures.[/size]
[size=4]I imagine that even he doesn’t know how many people were killed by his bombs, or those assembled by the IRA bomb-makers that he trained, and by the bomb-makers they in turn trained. He was the primary creator of an entire culture: DEI – Dessie Ellis Inspired. And since the IRA gave bomb-making classes to members of the PLO, whose skills then leached into Iraq, and Afghanistan, the toxins he helped unleash are still at work today. Very probably, no one will ever know how many people have been killed, maimed or castrated by DEI IEDs.[/size]
[size=4]This should be no revelation to anyone. Yet Ellis’s career as a top bomb-maker didn’t feature in any of the campaigns of the rival candidates in Dublin North West last year.[/size]
[size=4]We are allowed to talk about clerical abuse in the 1970s and 1980s, but not about the horrors of the IRA war.[/size]
[size=4]So Dail Eireann has in its midst two notable war criminals of the late 20th Century, Gerry Adams and Dessie Ellis: yet the only time that the Taoiseach refers to the deputy for Louth’s terrorist credentials is to mention the name Jean McConville when he can’t think of any other way of rebutting anything said by those rather clever TDs, Pearse Doherty or Mary Lou McDonald. And that, frankly, is pathetic.[/size]
[size=4]Moreover, the Provisionals have even been allowed to commandeer the word ‘republican’ as their monopoly. And so those who now continue the evil war that Adams and Ellis helped start are now called ‘dissidents’. But in what way is it ‘dissident’ for republicans to kill people? Is that not what they have always done, since they inaugurated a century of bloodshed in 1916, during which there has not been a single decade free of republican violence?[/size]
[size=4]Self-styled republicans in Ireland are not defined by their adherence to the concept of the democratic secular state, and the rights of the citizen therein, as in France or the US, but by their adherence to an armed conspiracy, in which they appropriate the right to take life. “We may not kill the right people in the beginning,” mused that gibbering fool, Patrick Pearse, and then, aided by that other bloodthirsty half-wit, the Marxist dunderhead James Connolly, they promptly proceeded to kill loads of the wrong people.[/size]
[size=4]But who, precisely, are ever the right people for “republicans” to bump off as a starter-course to the banquet of murder of an IRA campaign? Because killing people has never got republicans what they wanted. It didn’t in 1916, or in 1919, or 1921, or 1922 or 1939 or 1956 or 1970, when the Provisionals began their war. And look at that later generation of clever fools, led by the likes of Adams and Ellis. They are now in charge of a so-called republican movement, which is actually helping to administer a Northern Ireland within the United Kingdom, while the pillar boxes of South Armagh are as red as ever, tax-bills marked OHMS are delivered by the Royal Mail in Crossmaglen, and hello, with even a royal handshake.[/size]
[size=4]Well that was certainly worth some 4,000 lives, now wasn’t it?[/size]
[size=4]The peace process absolved democratic politicians from their duty to speak the truth. Instead, a strange new language was born, based on selective amnesia and Sinn Fein lies, and men who should have been hanging by their thumbs in a dungeon were elected to a democratic forum, where they presume to lecture us about right and wrong.[/size]
[size=4]Meanwhile, they remain profoundly unrepentant over the savage deeds that sullied the good name of Ireland. And as much to blame for this are the generations of political cowards who let Dessie Ellis live as a free man throughout the 1970s, teaching other young men how to make bombs, and who then allowed him to be elected to Dail Eireann without reference to his utterly evil past.[/size]
[size=4]- Kevin Myers[/size]

myers is an awful cunt

hope the ra shoots him

:guns: Chavvy, how is anyone supposed to read that fuckin thing!

yeah, the font was a bit small alright

The above is the price of the peace process. It’s like paying your solicitor. You know you have to pay up to keep your world in order but that doesn’t mean you have to like it. Having lived in Glasgow for a good while, his rangers article wasn’t too far off the mark, but Celtic had a n awful shower of northern Ireland thugs across at every home game many of whom seemed more interested in NescafĂ© handshaking the away fans of any team than they were in the football, or in keeping the snot off their faces for that matter. I used get old firm tickets off a season ticket holder who went to every game but never the old firm. At first I couldn’t understand this as it seemed the prime reason for having a season ticket, but after a while I realised he was actually right. If I lived there now I would do exactly the same and avoid the whole bilious hate filled occasion (if there was one).

that 2 weird posts from you about football - you come across as an awful pussy to be honest- Im glad puke refused your advances over Christmas

dont you like bogball and stickstick where the chrstian brothers thump the fuck out of kids - so spare me the anti football snobbery

That I do. Soccer doesn’t really float my boat as a game but I go anyway when offered. Used to enjoy going to Celtic. Went there a lot. Go to man united a couple of times a year but outside of hurling and getting beaten up by the Christian brothers, rugby league would be my favourite spectator sport, and I like the cycling when it gets into the mountains. My point about large numbers of the Celtic visiting fans was that they seemed to have little interest in the football itself, no different I am sure to many of the pond life visiting rangers from Irish shores. I used live in Glasgow with an ex ruc rangers fan who was of a similar opinion. The Celtic/Rangers divide may have been a pressure release valve as some
Political commentators think, or it may have prolonged the running sore of secterianism in the West of Scotland, but to my mind it had and probably still has an unhealthy prominence in Glasgow society. I was at sale sharks the other night and bumped into Sean long at the bar. Tough looking fucker with tattoos up his neck, but I introduced myself and he was happy to stop and chat and have a pint for a good while about all sorts. An intelligent and interesting man with a lot of time for a stranger. I have bumped into a few premiership footballers in south Manchester the last of which parked his Porsche across a disabled spot. This and the general atmosphere around soccer grounds in the uk means I wouldn’t bring the kids unless it was into the family stand. This may or may not make me a pussy.

bullet points?

• Start a thread lauding Kevin Myers as an alright sort
  • Change tack and denounce him as a cunt
  • Abuse another poster
  • Add “confused” and “contradictory” to the list of adjectives that describe the manner of cunt you are

cheers mate

:lol: :clap:

TASE clamped by a newbie

Boom!