Kilkenny GAA thread

Here is where TFK is very good. These discussions are both highly interesting and important. You are spot on about increasing urbanization.

I would be more than happy to see a fourth city club arise, if practicable. But it really would need its own national school, so that the children could bond with each other and the parents could bond with each other. You cannot have a durable GAA club without those early bonds.

5 Likes

Liam Blanchfield is in Australia

2 Likes

Chedd doesn’t go somewhere for a few Bob or to kill a few months. He’s a heart and soul person.

I hope to god that never changes

2 Likes

Would a ‘regional’ set of teams to take part in the senior championship not work instead? One from the north, south, and city? Junior clubs only - reckon Intermediate is strong enough. Works okay in Cork and Kerry*

*sets off bomb and runs out of room

They’re going well underage apparently

There’d still be no Callan lads hurling senior in that instance…saw ye last night v Windgap jasus you wouldn’t bring most of them with you moving cattle…they wouldn’t be able for it, there useless and then there’s the Lockes 2023 :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

There used to be a North v South junior game before but they got rid of it.

Chedders move to St. Martins is very impressive and confirms what you are saying above…in reality nobody in their right mind would take them on, zero County players at any level in the last number of Years, stalwart players holding it together by a thread very little coming through from underage but as showed great spirit in staying up intermediate last Year when they were most people’s dead certs for relegation.
The win last night is a massive start for them, I don’t know Chedder at all but fair play to him high profile managers never take these type of jobs.

1 Like

Rock bottom I’m hearing. Time for the club to sober up and take the 12 steps

Yere very strong at under 13(favourites for the A cship) and at U15A(yere on the tough side of the draw but a fine team,yeve every chance) decent enough at minor B too but backboned by the strong 15s very little to come through next Year afaik.
The club is flying from u7 to u15 bundles of talent and numbers…ye need to bring in 20 or so adult players as soon as they can be produced. The junior set up is the toughest of watches for yere loyal fans at the moment I’d say.

1 Like

Everyone here knows the regard in which I hold Cheddar. You can take it he’s not taking a bob of note for it eirher

Again, another seemingly decent idea. Another staple of pub conversation. People talk about a North Kilkenny side (including town candidates) and a South Kilkenny side competing at Senior. Sounds a good idea, whatever the practical difficulties of training etc.

But:

– Nearly everyone agrees Kilkenny’s club structure evolved into the best one around, with 12 teams at Senior and 12 teams at Intermediate.

– Let us say two divisional sides would have a panel of 25 players apiece.

– Allowing those panels to hurl at Senior would mean 50 Junior players getting experience in the top grade.

– But offering this facility would mean relegating two clubs from Senior into Intermediate. This move would deny 60 to 70 players experience of Senior.

– A relay effect would mean relegating two clubs from Intermediate into Junior. This move would deny 60 to 70 players experience of Intermediate.

– The net result would be 50 players gaining a benefit and 120 to 140 players experiencing a highly significant disimprovement.

5 Likes

NS is suspended, because he was sent off on a straight red against Tullaroan in last round of 2022 league action.

We’d have to figure out how to keep the 12 senior sides, then add in the divisional teams. I say three divisional teams as you could hold a round-robin to get the squads gelling better and then the winner gets through to the championship. How we’d figure out how’d play them… perhaps the bottom worst team after the league just goes straight into the relegation final and the divisional winners come into the first round? Something like that.

In Cork, outside of Imokilly, the divisions just dont work. There is a lack of interest. If lads are good enough, they will be selected for intercounty. A divisional team is not a neccesity to show off their talents. That void is now filled by colleges, as practically everyone goe on to 3rd level nowadays.

3 Likes

I think junior and intermediate in Kilkenny are of a sufficiently high standard for there not to be a need for divisional teams. I’d imagine it also dilutes the hatred in local rivalries which nobody wants

2 Likes

Too much hassle, no? And impossible in practical terms, in context of compressed season, no?

1 Like

I’m struggling to see what’s wrong with the current format?

You get good players at poor club’s continuing to stay at their parent club, but also being exposed to senior club championship. The Threecastles example is one mentioned. Carrigeen and Mooncoin is another.

Who would Carrigeen get on a divisional senior team?