Kilkenny GAA thread

But are the lower grades not of a good standard in Kilkenny?

Ballyhale’s commitment to losing all these Round Robin games is unreal.

The 4/1 on glenmore was missed by me as I was told Ballyhale were at home.

1 Like

Shamrocks were brutal in second half. Three points down at the break with a real strong breeze to come was a de facto winning position.

Glenmore well deserved the win. Wanted it more.

1 Like

Where’s Dean Mason? Was he a sub?

Still in Amerikay. Mark Aylward was on goal and did fine.

1 Like

Carrigeen have no one related to a hurler – let alone anyone related to a South Kilkenny divisional side hurler. They are gobshites and thugs.

Bar the possible exception of Éamonn Hennessy (who would have been hurling with St Lachtain’s for years if he had any ambition), Threecastles have no one of anywhere near that standard,

Mooncoin are now in their second year Intermediate.

Are Ballyhale one of those clubs like Loughmore in that if the goalie is injured/away, the sub goalie doesn’t play?

Mark Gorman has been named as sub goalie for a good few years now.

You are remarkably well informed on matters all over the country, fair play, but Mark Aylward was the sub goalkeeper last year and is there again this year.

Mark Gorman came on at full forward late in the game and missed an open goal, blasting over when any class of a low shot had to be a green flag. If he had netted, the Shamrocks would have got a draw, because Eoin Cody dropped in a straightforward free from 45 metres in added time.

1 Like

Gorman was definitely sub keeper for a few years though? Or am i losing it…

No, you are correct in that observation. Sub goalkeeper role only changed for 2022 season.

MG married into the parish about half a dozen years ago. Originally hurled with Abbeyside. I believe he was a Waterford Minor and U21.

1 Like

Some medal collection he has so

That is correct. Very good underage player but lacked pace which caught up with him when he got out of U21. Got a couple of injuries too I think.

Thanks for that. Yes, I have heard the same contour about MG, who is notably wristy and skilful. But nice to have story confirmed from outside.

Was not looking at it that way, I guess. But, yes, fair point. He does.

1 Like

He’d also be around 36/37 so if he’s coming on for you, you must be short enough especially if he was sub keeper the past few years. Has he been playing junior out the field?

37 this year, I think. Yes, has played a lot out the field – full forward, mainly – at Junior. Also has togged at Junior C, in fairness.

Panel was incredibly short today, yes. But well done to Glenmore, a tremendous club.

What happened the Eire Og club? They seemed to have a similar foundation story to Mount Sion and initially the same trajectory and then they seemed to just fizzle out?

I was trying to think of the name of the fourth club in the city. Éire Óg was it. Thanks.

Had never heard of them.