Kilkenny GAA thread

Three O’Keeffe’s as well. Serious athletic family from the Dublin Road side.

Una Donnelly FB is John Donnelly’s sister. Jerpoint side.

All names I grew up with around Thomastown.

1 Like

Are they all related/descended from Billys clan?

There was three brothers of my fathers era. Willie, carpenter, Paddy a brickie and John a plasterer. They’d be working all day and then out training on the roads in the evenings.

We used have an old jug that we kept our few medals in. The Keeffe’s had trophy rooms full of cups from mostly athletics. Minority sports at the time like speed walking, but cups are cups.

Here’s a photo of Willie at Kilfane Handball Club with Hal & May-Louise Clarke. Must be mid '70s. They generously handed over the court to the club after they bought Kilfane House.

Willie made a video (yea, back then) of me playing handball that day. But I can’t find it now.

4 Likes

Willie’s daughter, Mags I think, married John Power.
And the rest they say is history…

Thats a reoccurring theme with successful sporting families in KK.
Am I right in saying DJ,McGarry and Richie Hogan all had the same Grandfather? And that lad from OLoughlins that had a few run outs with the county a few years back,Kelly the name,I think?

That’s me in the flares playing Michael O’Keeffe.

6 Likes

Paddy Phelan was a granduncle to both DJ and Richie. I don’t think McGarry made it a trio and I never heard of a Kelly.

1 Like

Mark Kelly, he played with O’Loughlins and was on the KK panel. He and Richie Hogan are cousins, their mothers are sisters.

1 Like

Sure we’re all related. There was a family tree done in the late 80s. The whole of south KK are linked.

1 Like

Didn’t know that, Mark teaches in Bunscoil in Callan. Pleasant chap.

:grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:

1 Like

Thats a smashing clip. The flares were no help to your footwork.

1 Like

Who won?

Not much chat about the match. Draw least wexford deserved going by kclr. Bit worrying that kilkenny had more regulars than wexford and only 0-7 from play.
Frank’s and Jason Ryan seem to have a certain style of playing.

Anyone at this today lads? EM’s distribution being questioned,im hearing and reading.

https://twitter.com/DicksboroGAA/status/1754117037486395881?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Boro by 3 but scoreline suggests they were better value . Would be favourites to win minor A whenever it gets played so plenty to feed into that current senior team.

They were 1:2 to 0:0 up after five minutes. That was the winning and loosing of it by all accounts.

Shite

Sure anyone with any type of hurling brain knows his puckouts are cat.

Have you Thomastown connections?