Kilkenny GAA thread

Ah right that’s not bad. Thought it looked poor on Allianz Sunday, must of had the town end terrace closed. Normally the town crowd in there.

I would say management a little disappointed, they seem to be targeting a big league.

Not good when we can barely get a player on the Carlow or Waterford IT sides.

Intermediate draw

Didn’t realise Blacks and Whites were intermediate. That’s some going for the size of the place.

Group A is a the group of death. Johnstown still intermediate, unrale. Makes me ill seeing the clubs that are up there and where the 'Lockes sit right now. Not saying that Callan shouldn’t be Junior, very worthy of their position right now and won’t go up for at least another 5 years, but we have to be as good as B&W, T/R, Conahy, Lisdowney, Fenians and Dunnamaggin.

Be hard pick the Championship winner out of that selection.
Apart from Carey,have Young Irelands anyone coming through?

They’d a good minor team a few years back that are now 19/20. Mikey Carey’s brother Sean is a good forward and Pat O’Neill has a son coming on stream.

Doubt they’ll be near this though, Tullogher, Lisdowney and Dunnamagin would probably be expected to go close. No outstanding team like previous years at the moment.

1 Like

Ye should go back to kicking football. Ye might win something then.

1 Like

I have to let it go, I have no links with the club. Time for a rebrand I reckon

Paddy Langton is excellent hurler. Still u20 this year. They won u19 and U21 b’.

1 Like

What happened to Ballyragget? Seems like no length ago (2017) that they were promoted up to senior. There was a bit of hype then when Ann Downey took the job when they were back down intermediate but I think she was relegated in her first year? Didn’t think they’d be stuck down in Junior for so long. Kevin Kelly was the main man there a few years back.

Nothing coming up after they won the AI and lost one to Charleville.

1 Like

Junior is a bearpit in KK now. I reckon a lot of the junior winners will challenge to win the intermediate immediately.

1 Like

I have to say im a little disappointed in Billy Drennans career trajectory so far.Yeah hes deadly accurate from placed balls and is excellent at the handpass but it seems to me that hes lacking that bit of sparkle that the likes of Carey,The 2 Richies etc had when they burst on to the scene.They would have made you stand up and take notice.
Billy doesnt seem to have the stardust for a lad fast tracked onto the senior team and taking the frees at that age.
Different times, I know but its worrying.

Got injured last year before the Leinster round robin. I’m fairly sure he only is coming back from another inj now. He’s a lot more functional than the stardust names you mentioned.

1 Like

Its the same everywhere.

Dalo was bemoaning the lack of a Danny Sutcliffe or Liam Rushe coming through in Dublin now compared to when he was there. The reality is there is no one really coming through anywhere.

I have a neighbour originally from South East Galway who is still Galway mad despite living in Tipp for 40 years, and while he was never shy on blowing up Canning/The Burkes/Cooney etc, over the years he doesnt think any of their young lads who won 4x Minors in a row recently are up to much.

Cork have won a few U20’s and should be good at Senior by now but they are no better than what they were about 6 or 7 years ago before they had any underage success.

I see a few Limerick’s hyping up their young lads but based on their U20 performance v Tipp in 2023 or the AI U20 final in 2022, i wouldn’t say they are anything to write home about. Adam English has a lot going for him though.

Its wonderful to see the Tulla’s, Nenagh’s and Cashel’s winning Harty Cups, but it shows that the whole thing is just very even now and a hard working, organised team can win it. Everyone is much of a muchness and there are no superstars anywhere capable of dominating it.

There’s no Noel McGrath, Tony Kelly, Tadhg De Burca or Declan Hannon playing in it now.

2 Likes

You just ain’t looking at enough Harty cup games in the last few years. Twas easy pick out Joyce, O Brien and Hogan.

2 Likes

No easy games for Thomastown there. We’ll know soon enough how good they are.

The Lockes are no where near as good as all those clubs you mention, ye wouldn’t come within 40 points of Dunnamaggin…LisdowneyConahy,Fenians etc would all beat ye by 15 to 20 points…did you catch any Lockes games in 2023…it was a horror show my friend… Graignamanagh 2-20 John Lockes 0-04 was the score in the knockout 1st round Graig went on to lose by 13 points in the next round.
It’s gonna be at least the 5 Years you mention,some good 13-16 year olds coming in fairness.

1 Like

They are grand players but not a patch on what went before.

Joyce is supposed to be improving Cork but is he really? They’ve gone from beaten All Ireland Finalists to beaten QF, to not making it out of the group since he started playing for them. Everyone wants him to do well and be the next great centre back where the team is built around him but I’m unconvinced.

I don’t get the hype with O’Brien yet. For the Limerick U20’s he was underwhelming enough. Played well in a League match last year alright against Clare but that was puck around stuff.

Hogan is a good corner back but isn’t a rolls royce in my opinion.

There’s a Hurling in Crisis special on League Sunday this week. It will be interesting to see what angles they come at.