Kilkenny GAA thread

78 i think.

His brother Kieran Crotty, the former Fine Gael TD won a senior medal with Dicksboro in 1950.

Very sad. They’re a nice family

Kilkenny brothers won championships with the opposing clubs involved in Sunday’s senior hurling final.

The Crotty brothers, Kieran, the former Fine Gael TD for Carlow/Kilkenny, was a winner with Dicksboro, while Michael Crotty was a winner with James Stephens.

Kieran features on the team of 1950, while Michael was unusual in that he was a winner in Cork - with UCC - and James Stephens in Kilkenny in 1969.

He won three more local championships with The Village.

Michael (pictured), or Mick Crotty as he was more popularly known, also won four All-Irelands with Kilkenny, six Leinster championships, one National League and he was honoured as an All-Star on one occasion.

He played with the county between 1969 and 1980.

Kieran Crotty served in the Dail for over 20 years. He was Mayor of Kilkenny six times between 1970 and 1995.

Dicksboro and James Stephens clashed 15 times in the senior hurling championship, including two replays.

The family were baker’s weren’t they?

They are one of the long-tailed merchant/politico KK families, they had a bakery on High St and Mary’s Lane, it’s now Paris Texas and Pat Crotty owns/runs it or did anyway. Another sibling has a cafe on Kieran St.
Mick Crotty owned the Educational Supplies and had a monopoly on school books for years.
David Fitzgerald, a nephew of Kieran and Mick is the Fine Gael candidate for the next GE.
I’m pretty sure they were related to Raymond Crotty too

4 Likes

There’s one for “Things I found out about today” thread.

I believe so.

Their bread was lovely

He also owned the Toymaster on High St. but I left that out because I thought the post was boring enough as it was

6 Likes

@RaymondCrotty can you confirm?

2 big games today. Great chance for mullinavat and thomastown, probably best chance vat will get of making a Co final. Thomastown we’re in the tougher group and had that big win over ballyhale.
Ttown by 5.
Love to see the bridge win also. Have to have a chance with butler r and bergin missing

1 Like

The bridge have a decent team and have been a pretty solid senior outfit. Probably aging a bit. For the older lads they’ll never get a better shot at winning a county title.

They have a lot of things in their favour. They got their QF done and dusted two weeks ago. Loughlins was delayed due to the storm and then they had the Boro epic and came out the far side of it without Mikey Butler and their very consistent free taker.

If the bridge bring a decent performance Loughlins will do well to get out with a one point win.

Big Dan full of beans there.

A Kerryman showing the KKs how to hurl

The missing piece for the AI title.

1 Like

No, Crottys

Thomastown are giving Vegas a good trimming so far. Listened to the first-half on the radio and sounded like they were purring. I’d have likened them to Tullaroan winning intermediate in 2019 and reaching a senior semi the following year but the rate they’re going they could emulate Clara 2012/13 yet.

Conahy must’ve had a serious hatchet man/marker on DJ Carey in the 1992 intermediate final. Not a peep from him on the scoreboard and subbed off early.

Pat Gunner hit him with a few shots.

1 Like