Kilkenny - Non-GAA Discussion

Are the coal slack heaps gone from Castlecomer?
I remember them as a whipper-snapper.

Great question and thread in general. Looking forward to talking about all things KK.

Yes is the answer. There was coal drawn out of the hills around Comer and Galmoy, but I’d say they are long since gone.

Some info here Mining Industry is Born - Castlecomer

Eamon Coleman had an exhibition in the Butler Gallery this year with work inspired by the 28 acres on the 'Comer plateau where the slag heaps were.
It included a film showing how the area has transformed over the last number of years

So were the coal slack heaps where the Discovery Park is now?
I never heard of the Comer Plateau either.

No, the Discovery Park is in the grounds of what was the Wandesforde Estate. They owned the mines.
The Castlecomer Plateau stretches into Laois and Carlow

2 Likes

Kilkenny are a remarkable town

What year was that?

From Callan :man_facepalming:t2:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/irishman-defends-drinking-81-pints-31855630

A relative of Bosco I assume?

How is even possible to lower that much Guinness?

His young fella. Has the frame tbf

1 Like

I wouldn’t drink 81 pints in a year.

A good place for to bring the kids for lunch in teh city that’s not Arán or Langtons?

The design centre,opposite the castle is a good spot.

Used be pricy?

The Left Bank used do a nice carvery.

Ah yeah it was alright.10 years since I was there.Nice place to relax and watch the comings and goings.Good atmosphere.
Left bank is class.

Is the Orchard still going? They used to have an outside play area where you could watch your youngsters out through the window while you had your food etc.Reasonably priced too.

It is and it has a lift if you have a buggy and has plenty of floor space for buggies.
Same with The Black Cat cafe on the top floor of the old Winstons (now a sports shop- Elverys, maybe), has a lift and lots of space.

I like Foodworks, just opposite the Bank of Ireland and Elverys

2 Likes

Orchard is still going, has plenty of parking and space and TVs etc. The food isn’t brilliant though