King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

How much was paid ?

We are so proud to have him, a man of the people and a worthy ambassador for hurling.

1 Like

It must be some relief to him to actually have the medal now, you wouldn’t give a shite about the jersey or anything else from the day

3 Likes

When you think about all that went before him, (including his brother) that didn’t win one?

Think about those that didn’t win one though, Jimmy Smyth for example. Apparently he was as good as Mackey, just surrounded by mostly donkeys.

Smyth never played in an AI semi, and maybe only one Munster final. Canning had a few finals played, where they led and were caught and been to replays etc. That whole thing of having been been close to the mountain-top and seeing the end of the tunnel coming towards you.

Fair point, having to lose one (or two) to win one. You’d wonder about the impact the back door would have have back in the day. Getting out of Munster was brutal, how many Clare, Limerick or Waterford teams played in AI semifinals?

Damn all. It’s fucking mental when you think about it. I was lucky enough to be born when I was, and I’ve seen Clare win three AI’s, but I still hear the lads my father’s mates go on wistfully about the journey to Thurles, and the places they always stopped etc. They were very different times.

Used they cycle to Thurles, Limerick and Cork for the games?

They used take a day coming back, after taking a room in the Five Alleys when the disappointment got too much for them :beers:
My grandfather was supposed to have cycled to Tullamore and back to hurl for Galway one time back in the 30’s

8 Likes

They don’t make men like that anymore god be with the days

2 Likes

He was an agent for the beet factory, cycled the length and breadth of the county by all accounts. Iron Bob - if I ever own a horse, that’ll be the name.

3 Likes

I would have loved to lived back then, simpler times, nobody materialistic

Me bollix. It was a hard life make no mistake. No electricity. Fuck all heating. No cars. Go way outta that.

2 Likes

I don’t know, people are by and large very decent. My grandparents house would have been a well known stopping point for agents and other young lads from Clare going about their business or to the agri-college in Mountbellew and Athenry. I’m often surprised by fellas I meet at home who passed thru my grandparents kitchen 30 or 40 years ago. I’m pretty sure they’d get the same welcome from my uncle and his family in the same house now.

4 Likes

Ah cunts are soft these days with their underfloor heating, electric showers, SUV’s and then depressed at the end of it

1 Like

I agree, lots of decent stock about still but that’s slowly being eroded, culture is being eroded, people have no time for anyone else these days, society is changing and not for the better in my opinion

Rural Ireland honestly hasn’t changed that much in my experience of coming and going for the last few decades. Life in the bigger towns and cities for sure, to an almost unrecognizable level.

1 Like

I could be accused being as conservative as anyone else here but for the most part I find people are trying to hold onto the best of the old values. We undoubtedly have too much of needless shite, but every parent I know says the same and is trying to give their kids some bit of sense in that regard.

1 Like

Please keep your twee, God be with the days, reminiscing for the bogger threads

5 Likes