King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Wasn’t too despondent at the end, expected Mayo to be up for this and they were. Second half was encouraging, good effort and fight all over the field, and some good scores. Comer nowhere near 100% but forced Mayo into more defensive setup and Galway started to win a lot of possession. Pity about the penalty as it would have made for a very interesting finish.

It’s a young team, average age 24, hope springs eternal.

1 Like

Could be a better team playing a WAY better brand of football with a new man at the helm.

1 Like

You would hope so. They need to get smarter and more cynical as well, they are constantly falling into traps and giving away fouls. There’s a fair bit of physical strength in the side if they played more direct. Frustrating for the likes of Shane Walsh who just ends up constantly fouled as the buildup is too slow.

The second Mayo goal was a thing of beauty, Galway defenders were slow to see the danger but the acceleration was impressive.

Kevin and Brian are sound lads but I think the quality of panel they have is significantly better than Mullholland had. The blanket in theory needed to be brought in but there’s still a lot of tactical naievety which quality teams always punished them for.

I do agree largely with you. We did need to bring in a defensive system. Walsh’s system got players back alright but numbers alone don’t make the difference. And of course when you do turnover the ball you need a lightning quick counter attack game, not a slow ponderous meandering around the opposition 45 type plan that we seem to have, before someone takes a pot shot. Like @anon7035031 says hope springs eternal and I firmly believe we have a very group of players with the right man at the helm.

Yesssssss! We walked all over ye cunts. Nothing is going to stop us now, #MayoforSam.

I genuinely would love Mayo to do it from here, but you my friend have no class.

1 Like

Timing is everything kid. You’re not very good at it.

You’re one to talk :smile:

Do as I say . Not as I do

How does Kieran Molloy not start for Galway?

He’s too attack minded maybe?

He has neither the football intelligence nor football ability for intercounty at the moment. His big assets at club level are his speed and stamina, but you won’t stand out with that at intercounty. Corofin produce great club players but very few over the past 25 years of county standard, even when Silke and McNamara were there they were seen as weak links. Fitzgerald really the only one who made a mark at intercounty, Sice was unreliable during a very low period for Galway.

First ball he got yesterday was a score from him.hes a quality plàyer and there’s no doubt about that.

Does he not come up against intercounty players at club level or something?

Stupid argument

1 Like

Sice was excellent on his day but his days were all too intermittent. Fitzy was indeed the real deal, awful shame

1 Like

You’d probably need to judge him on more than one ball. Liam Silke is far better than him at both club and Sigerson level, and it’s questionable if he is good enough for a county team looking to win an All-Ireland.

I’m not judging him on one ball …

Molloy not good enough? Looks plenty good enough for me. You’re obviously from a rival club to corofin.

That’s a rather duvious leap to make albeit one that all too common in Galway GAA

Molloy and Silke are both class players being restricted by terrible tactics at inter county level

1 Like