King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Each to their own. I love watching galway hurling well but, tbh, if they play well I get almost as much satisfaction out of a loss as I do a bad win, with the exception of beating kk, Cark, limerick and wexford. And Waterford. And Dublin. Cunts.
I’d far prefer playing any oul game than watching.

3 Likes

I just think people want it both ways. They long for some sort of glory days where lads shake of their hangover the day of a game and go out and hurl but they still want hurling to be an incredible spectacle. Some of the top IC games lately have been scarily good and, like it or not, that due (in part at least) to the teams being professionally prepared

1 Like

It doesn’t need a million quid a year imho, just a level of skill and fitness that can be obtained with sympathetic shrude management and player buy in

And offaly

I don’t like Laois either

The inter county season should be played over November and December on a knockout basis leaving the important stuff to the summer

You are obviously from limerick city mate. County teams don’t matter too much out the country.

Nothing to see here, move along

A few € on a proof-reader would be money well spent I feel.
You can pour drink but you pore through expenditures. Tut, Tut…

1 Like

Looking back at the 2017 accounts, inter-county gate receipts over the past two years have increased from €195k to €297k and club gate receipts have increased from €866k to €1.2m. With a difference of €483k in three years down to the new bosca system (tickets are purchased at a van outside the ground on match-day to eliminate cash changing hands at the turnstile), does it, unfortunately, shine a light on past practices? Until we deal with matters of the past, it is very hard to move forward with confidence.

”Burke was adamant Galway must “draw a line in the sand” and look ahead, rather than back.

Crazy sh!t. When they stop issuing a wee ticket when u paid cash at the gate?

I’ve mentioned it before but you’d be at match in Pearse Stadium down the years and people would be joking at HT about the forthcoming attendence announcement. They’d usually knock off the guts of 2000 but sometimed they got greedy, I remember one time the stand and terrace full, I think it was v Tipp in the league, at least 8000 and they announced roughly half that. Oh how we laughed, more innocent times

1 Like

I thought that had schtapped after the Bank of Turlough withdrew sponsorship?

I wonder how many of the selfless volunteers who looked after the turnstiles 3 years ago are still giving up their Sunday afternoons to stand at the gates in Salthill and Tuam now?

The revolutionary and groundbreaking new ‘Bosca system’** has them all running for the hills

**buying your tickets from a van

It goes higher than those lads. Find out who “appointed” them and there’s the answer. I just thought the issuing of tickets at the gate after handing over cash was an attempt at addressing the problem.

There were honest lads on the gates of course as well. Our own club chairman would be seen doing it and I’d have every faith in him, but the businessman from the parish with no involvement whatsoever in the local club was not your typical volunteer.
Though it sounds like an urban myth, I definitely recall going to a club game, handing the little raffle ticket to the lad with the bag inside the gate and then he handing a fistful of them back to the style operator because he had ran out of them.

1 Like

Is Shane Cooney on the Galway panel? If not, why not?

He was on it previously anyway, presume he was left alone til Thomas’s were done

3 Likes

I think Clancy is the only one of the forward line who wasn’t underage the next year, Reilly had 2 years left. The Kerry team that beat them got 3 lads through who won senior All-Irelands, Mike Frank being the pick of them.