King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Insurrection against Nogra.

:heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :pint:

Personality from the Past

Tomás Meehan (Caltra GAA)

Tomás Meehan retired from inter-county football in January 2006, after being a member of the Galway senior panel for nine seasons, winning All-Ireland SFC medals in 1998 and 2001.

A Hogan Cup winner with St. Jarlath’s College in 1994, “Mossie” was a corner-back who had lots of pace.

Meehan won 2 Connacht MFC medals (1993 & 1994) during his career. The Tribesmen were beaten in the ‘93 All-Ireland MFC semi-final by Cork before reaching the ‘94 All-Ireland MFC final. Unfortunately, Galway were beaten by Kerry, 0-16 to 1-07.

The Caltra clubman also won two Connacht U-21 medals during his career (1996 & 1998). However, Galway would go on to suffer defeat in the All-Ireland semi-finals both years.

At senior level, along with two All-Ireland SFC medals, Meehan won 5 Connacht SFC medals (1998, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2005).

In the 1998 All-Ireland SFC final, Tomás made a crucial save in the last few minutes of the final from Kildare’s Brian Murphy that kept Galway’s goal intact, as the Tribesmen ended the county’s 32 year wait for Sam Maguire to return.

Meehan was also corner-back on the Galway team that took on Kerry in the 2000 All-Ireland SFC final (draw & replay).

A second All-Ireland SFC medal followed in 2001, as Galway went the Qualifiers route after suffering a surprise defeat to Roscommon in Connacht. The Tribesmen would demolish Meath in the final, 0-17 to 0-08.

Meehan also enjoyed unprecedented success at club level with his beloved Caltra. The club won their first ever Galway SFC title in 2003, defeating Killererin in the final, 3-11 to 0-05. A Connacht Club SFC title would also be claimed in the weeks that followed, defeating Sligo’s Curry, 1-06 to 0-06.

Victory over Ulster champions The Loup from Derry, 2-09 to 0-09, set up an All-Ireland Club SFC final meeting with Kerry’s An Ghaeltacht. Caltra enjoyed their finest hour on 17th March 2004 as they defeated An Ghaeltacht, 0-13 to 0-12, in Croke Park.

What made the achievement even more special was that Meehan lined out alongside his five brothers (Noel, Enda, Michael, Declan & Seamus) in the team along the journey to the All-Ireland Club SFC title.

Caltra’s achievement is even more unique in that they are one of only two clubs to have gone on to win the All-Ireland Club title after claiming their first ever senior county title. O’Donovan Rossa of Skibbereen in Cork is the only other club, they won their sole senior county senior championship in 1992 then went all the way by winning the club All Ireland the following Spring.

A Graduate of DCU and Trinity, Tomás now works as the chief information officer in Croke Park.

Image may contain: 1 person, playing a sport and text

5 Likes

I’ve bumped into a number of times in recent years in his new role. A scholar and a gent

4 Likes

They’re a great bunch of lads them Caltra boys.

Any chance of him rising further through the ranks in there I wonder? Tomas had some fairly rocky days in the county jersey but has every medal he could have dreamed of.

He’s got the full deck of medals, ditto Fitzy(albeit a few more) Ray Silke,Deccie too and Donnellan

A great example of the importance of timing in sport, Tomas would be a fair distance behind Michael in ability but has the more impressive medal haul. Tis the club medal that would be cherished most of all in the house though and they all have that.

Can’t compare the two… Ones an out and out forward the other a back

Ah Michael was much more talented in reality. Unfortunately just a couple years too young to be involved in 2001 or he would have got his All-Ireland intercounty medal as well.

2 Likes

Would you dispute the suggestion that Padraic Joyce had more ability than Finian Hanley on the same basis?

You were comparing brothers in two complete different positions. If you compared Tom and dec then fair enough. It’s like for like. Dec the better known but I always preferred when it was Dec marking me in a game rather than Tom

You have some peculiar views. What does it matter that they are brothers, I was comparing their ability which is as easily done as Joyce and Hanley though the gap isn’t quite as wide. Michael and Declan were the 2 best footballers in the house, some would consider Noel to be next ahead of Tomas.

Your not comparing like with like tho… Tom was very underrated imo also

Tomás was a fine no nonsense player, knew his job, stuck the head down and did it. Never had any notions about himself, we could do with a few more like him in Galway, hurlers especially

Are caltra any good these days?

Nah, relegated from senior a couple of years back

I used to hate when he was making me back in the day. Anything you got off him you earned it. Deccie was mad for road so if you were doing your job I always found him a little bit easier than Tom to mark. Serious footballers the lot of them. Enda also was a quality Fb as noel was a ff. Seriously talented family

2 Likes

There was a sister too wasnt there? She died young?

Yeah, engaged to Fitzy at the time. Very tragic

2 Likes

Ya Mairead, don’t think they were engaged tho @myboyblue, she was only 25 when she passed away