King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Killimor had Andrew Keary, captained an All Ireland minor winning team and won an U21. Made his senior debut under Conor Hayes, in 06 I think. Killimor also contested two county intermediate finals in the past 15 years.
The big issue facing the once powerhouse of Galway hurling, East Galway, is rural depopulation and proximity to the city and jobs.

1 Like

Is there a map anywhere showing the board divides?

That’s a fair moveable feast, the likes of Kilconieron would have played in every division over the decades

You have to fancy that over the next decade or so that the power might swing towards the clubs in the greater Galway city catchment area. Clarinbridge, Turlough, Oranmore/Maree, maybe Athenry again. They will have the guaranteed numbers that the clubs on the further reaches of the county are already struggling with. That said a rural club can still proper if they get a clatter of brothers emerging together like the Canning’s or the Burke’s. But how likely will this be in the future with smaller family sizes?

Or the Cooneys. Portumna had the Cannings, but outside of Ollie and Joe, the others weren’t near the same calibre. They had a will to win throughout the team, epitomised by the likes of Damien Hayes. Same for Athenry. A few groups of brothers, but it was the sum of the parts (plus Cloonan) that kept them at the top.

Kiltormer were a great example of a tiny rural club that punched way above their weight division, with a 2-in-a-row in the 90s and a club All Ireland. Hayes, the two Kilkennys, Justin, Brendan Dervan, Aidan Staunton were all brilliant club hurlers.

1 Like

You address us by our proper title you little bollix

How far are Clarinbridge off it? They seem to have made big contributions to Galway minor teams over the past years. A big population close enough to the city would provide a good base.

Leix

Massive investment in underage development, so you’d have to see them as a big contender for the next few years.

Much better.

No doubt depopulation is making it a struggle in that part of the country, they are mainly amalgamations at underage now and Portumna are often in the lowest grade I hear. Kiltormer refused to go junior this year after their relegation, you would wonder if that is the right thing to do. I doubt they have anyone playing now who has even appeared in an intermediate final, you would think a junior title and an attempt to get to Croker would bring a bit of excitement to the club.

1 Like

How can they just refuse to go down?

1 Like

I admire that though

1 Like

Mate, this is Kiltormer we’re talking about.

1 Like

There were 14 clubs in intermediate last year, 2 groups of 7. Kiltormer lost the relegation final to Kilbeacanty, but after a few committee meetings there is now a 15 team intermediate championship with Kiltormer still in it.

:smiley::smiley::smiley:

Gaillimh abĂș! :rofl:

Great interview in the Sindo with Joe Connolly.

And one from a few weeks back with John Connolly.

2 Likes

Interesting to see John Connolly mention the club semi-final from 1980 as his most memorable day. I often heard stories from the game. The whole county was rooting for Castlegar, which was highly unusual! The stand-out yarn is when Eamonn O’Donoghue was contesting a ball with Padraig Connolly and Connolly slipped. O’Donoghue thought he had all the time in the world to pick the ball and score, but Ted Murphy, the Castlegar centre-back, caught him with a savage shoulder and landed him under the fence and into a clump of nettles.

Hon Cashel!

4 Likes

Some interview that with Joe. The brother was on the Examiner GAA podcast with Anthony Daly a few weeks ago. Covered a lot of the same ground and was well worth a listen as well.