King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

Peculiar statement that, I’d say 7 or 8 of them clubs have been intermediate in recent years so it will hardly be a new experience for them. There are probably 5 of them who are amalgamated at underage too just to get a team fielded.
I heard recently that Claregalway won both the Minor ‘A’ and Minor ‘B’ football championships in Galway last year. Its hard to see how small rural clubs will be able to stay competitive, or that there is a championship format that will allow them to do so.

On paper their manager McEntee looks to have the perfect CV having led Meath to an All-Ireland minor final in 2012 and won the All-Ireland club with Ballyboden in 2016. In reality they need shot of him as quickly as possible. Meath shouldn’t be that bad.

1 Like

Rob Finnerty came on this evening at halftime for DCU against UU and turned the game completely, he was head and shoulders above everyone else on the field. He also got stuck into McKernan from Tyrone with some verbals at one stage, he seemed to be really enjoying himself. The game tonight suited him as it was a leisurely enough pace but there is clearly loads of football in him. Looking forward to seeing Galway come to Newry this weekend, I expect they will have far too much for the home side.

2 Likes

Do you mind me asking what county you’re from @Halfpipe? I thought you were from the North but you seem very knowledgeable on Galway football

He’s a wild goose

2 Likes

Great affinity between Down and Galway football going back to the 60s. Galway man played on the Down team that won the All-Ireland in 1968, Galway had a grandson of that team line out for them in recent years too. And of course both counties play the game as God intended. Il be on a pitch in Down tomorrow teaching young lads to solo like Michael Donnellan and field like Sean O’Neill, they will remain completely ignorant to the role of the sweeper.

17 Likes

Finnerty has a load of talent. Very nice young fella. Probably needs a small bit of badness in him to fulfill his full potential. Has a happy go lucky air about him at times which the old fella had as well.

1 Like

Always had great respect for Down football and their revolutionary black shorts. The real aristocrats of Ulster football.

1 Like

He’s cut out of him.

That’s an outstanding post :clap: :clap:. Maith thu!

6 Likes

Probably the only two players Shefflin had heard of left in the squad.

Daithi putting in a MOTM performance for Corofin while dying of a hangover in an All Ireland semi is one of the all time great yarns.

Which one was that?

1 Like

An iconic gansy.

Mick was some spoofer.

1 Like

The story goes it was for 2019 in Leitrim.

That’s a good one.

I remember Ray Silke had a couple of cuts at Daithi in the media around that time about focusing on All Star Trips and Team Holiday’s over Corofin.

Ray and the brother can be sly enough

1 Like