King Henry of Galway (Part 1) 👑

I think there are a few shoots. KH is tending the garden like Percy thrower lads.

1 Like

Is Whelan too greedy? Controversial statement but Iggy alluded to it earlier. He’s well able to give a crossfield pass but usually goes for the head down barrel forward or the over the shoulder effort. We didn’t look like working one goal either

Not greedy enough imo

Whelan has a weakness and its not greed imo. He needs to work on shooting off his right side, too many times he tries to resort his comfortable left and gets hooked/blocked.

1 Like

Morrissey has been very good lately. Was a stand out minor but thought he would never reach those levels at senior but he’s getting there at the moment.

1 Like

Grealish is some lad to hit a sideline. He’s built like a block as well.

Pearse Stadium as a location is a real problem. I’d wager if the stadium was located in a better location that you’d get far bigger numbers at games.

1 Like

Where could you put a potential new Galway stadium. Some greenfield site around Oranmore or maybe Athenry?

1 Like

I don’t know what the problem was going in but it was fuck all to do with matchday traffic anyway. We headed in straight after the minor match and town was mental at that stage, we eventually parked up in Coláiste Einde around 10 to 4.

We had no problems at all getting out of it, flew down through Westside and out over Quincentenary, and were out on the motorway again in no time.

Anywhere east of the river, but yes I’d reckon oranmore/athenry, but walking distance from the town.
The shloe would be a good spot, and the football back to tuam.
That’s what I’d do anyway.
Sell pearse

1 Like

Just normal traffic probably, though the rubby won’t have helped.

1 Like

Are you fucking mental? All the way over to the Roscommon border.

1 Like

Sure if the Co. Board had played their cards right, the Comer Brothers would have built us a “state-of-the-art” arena at Mountain South and Pateen McDonagh fucked out on his hole in one foul swoop. Galway Gaa’s loss is GUFC’s gain.

Galway supporters are woeful to go to games regardless of venue. It’s too late to cater to sunshine support even in theory.

Is the main stadium in a secondary town in any county?

Don’t know but galways geography is fairly unique, and the football was in tuam for decades with everyone happy. The bulk of the gaa is east of the river and that is where the ground should be, but preferably somewhere with a few pubs walkable for a day out. That narrows it. Bsloe fits the bill for most of those.

1 Like

Thurles would be the 3rd town in Tipp, behind Clonmel and Nenagh, but obviously centrally located to serve the entire county.

Wicklow and Aughrim too maybe

Galways round robin record in Salthill is phenomenol. Teams fear coming there. Anyone askting to switch now wants their head examined.

2 Likes

Was only thinking the same watching the minor match vs Clare. Athenry is ideally located within the county with transport links etc. but in a hypothetical situation where the county ground was built there, I feel it wouldn’t have a big enough footprint to hold 20k+ people. Galway GAA need to tap in to it’s main population base as much as possible as well.

I am home next weekend and intend to go to the Connacht final against the Sheep stealers, but i have to get back to Dublin sharpish afterwards. Pearse Stadium is a disaster in that regard, as I’m guaranteed to be at least an hour getting across town.

Trouble is, even if they built the bypass, parking is difficult, and there’s no great focal centre for supporters.
Oh and it a dingy concrete eyesore with a mediocre surface and a gale.
Oranmore would work for both city and county, though again, it’s not a natural congregating spot.