Landlords/Houses/tennants/cunts thread

Materials for a house are a rip off,unbelievably expensive.As with everything else in oireland weā€™re being gouged every time we buy something. Thatā€™s why houses are so expensive

1 Like

Until the big tech employers like google etc start to complain nothing will change. They wonā€™t though if San Francisco rent prices are anything to by

Google is building itā€™s own houses for employees in San Fran now. You are fairly locked into a job then, modern day serfs.

1 Like

House, doctor, dentist, food, IVF, how could you leaveā€¦

Lots of multinationals are complaining about the cost of housing.

Dermot Bannon the other night said to the couple whose house he was doing up that if they put maybe 100k I think it was and reached an energy efficiency of A3 that the owners could claw back 40k of the cost as a grant. I presume this is only if you attain A3?

For example if one were to take on an old farmhouse with a current energy rating of F or G, would it cost a bomb to bring that up to say a B? Would it even be possible at all? And also is there going to be an onus down the line on everyone to upgrade old houses so that they have minimum energy ratings of I think C3 at worst? Fairly sure I read that.

Iā€™d say most people wonā€™t know these answers bar maybe @Gman and @Fran at a stretch, I might be missing someone else obvious that knows construction.

@Copper_pipeā€™s mate built his own shed and Iā€™d say it has a savage ratingā€¦

1 Like

It is gone now mate you missed the boat. There was a big controversy about people getting shafted by not getting the grant because it was all used up there a few weeks ago.

Itā€™ll likely be back again but may not be as generous next time out.

To answer your question though you had to achieve A3 or you got natin

That deep retrofit scheme is no longer and RTE really should have had that disclaimer on the show as Iā€™d imagine it was recorded prior to the scheme ending

there are stil SEAI grants available for insulation upgrades, but no where like the deep retrofit which is what you are looking for with your old farmhouse example.

1 Like

Anything is possible but it depends on your starting point and how much youā€™re willing to spend. I wouldnā€™t be relying too much on Bannonā€™s ā‚¬100k.

I donā€™t know if theyā€™ll be able to force people to upgrade places but maybe inadvertently through property or environmental tax or something

Is affordable housing basically subsidised housing - as in the local authority funds the gap between the cost of building and the ā€œaffordableā€ price?

In the Celtic tiger days this was how it worked and the local authority took proceeds from any profit on the sale of it for 20 years. It was 50% for first 10 years and then reduced by 5% a year until year 20. It assumes that the owners will remain living there for that full duration but in real terms this rarely happens.

Iā€™m not sure what @Juhniallio is giving out about. Does he think the subsidy should be more? Which money-tree does he want to take it from to increase the subsidy? Is he upset that the state has some form of claw-back?

Iā€™m not sure either. I just saw him calling FG cunts so I gave it a like.

Did you read the article?

Yeah - I found it a bit all over the shop to be honest and Iā€™d question the bias of the author when approaching the subject in the first place.

Ok good. I think the article is decent.
Mostly because it points out that FGā€™s policy to combat the housing crisis ( now about 8 years old) is yet again to turn to private developers and see what suits them. not to set policy and go out and find developers to implement it. The affordable housing scheme was an excellent scheme. ITā€™s obviously unfit for purpose if a) the valuations are way above the going rate for a gaff in the area and b) if the price to be paid for those apartments/houses can only be afforded (according to the rules of the land )by people earning wages of about 80grnad. They are not the people who need help to buy homes. Iā€™d have thought they were fairly simple takeaways.

1 Like

Any thoughts specifically on red brick houses @Fran @Gman? A lot of of them seem to have very bad BER ratings, like in the E and F range.

I saw nothing in that article to suggest developers were setting policy. However, depending upon who owned land etc I presume there was some sort of negotiation with the developer. Iā€™m not sure why people would consider this odd.

In terms of the price, as suspected you want them even more subsidised by the state and Iā€™d question whether thatā€™s the best use of resources - better have the houses fully owned by the state in that case imho.

Finally - ā‚¬80k is 2 x ā‚¬40k salaries which fairly closely matches the average wage in this country. Ergo, the term affordable in so much as it applies to two average workers is not too far off the mark.

Somebody will correct me if Iā€™m wrong but I donā€™t think brick will make much difference. The brick is just the out skin for aesthetic and waterproof purposes. There are brick houses in my estate and theyā€™re all A rated. The rating is more to do with insulation / heat loss (walls, floors, roof, windows), air tightness, energy saving technology (heat recovery, heat pumps, solar power), energy efficient appliances, etc.

1 Like