Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

It was June actually

4 Likes

I’d say he staggered out out of his seat after the unmerciful hiding ye got that day.

His ears are still ringing

1 Like

September is a grand month for a wedding as well as a grand month for an All Ireland Final. Of course, September 1992 was a busy month of All Ireland Final action for Waterford. It was good forward planning and scheduling by Chuck to ensure the wedding was scheduled for the only weekend in the month of September that Waterford weren’t in All Ireland Final action. No amateur hour, scheduling mistakes there that you’d get from fellows that wouldn’t be versed in GAA matters and the workings and vagaries of the GAA calendar. No doubt if Waterford had found themselves in yet another All Ireland Final the day after the wedding, yourself and Powery would have forsaken the day after the wedding piss up to be in attendance, as would any true Gael and proper supporter.

4 Likes

Some fella that could turn a Down fella onto his weak side.

3 Likes

A great man for a fight too. Particularly against Kerry.

I think they’ve given up

A clever and witty post that hasn’t garnered the ratio of deserved accolades.

Good auld TG4 show on now, Noel O’Leary. He’d be one for the roaster thread and the alright sort thread.

1 Like

Yeah he was getting a bit of criticism here during the week but I’ve warmed to him watching this. He had some awful tragedies in his life as a young lad. His rivalry with Paul Galvin was absolutely Box Office and he was a much better footballer than people gave him credit for. You don’t get called into a Cork senior panel straight out of minor if you’re just a hatchet man.

I heard an interview with him before, a podcast, can’t recall where, and he came across as a sound enough bloke. Didn’t realise the tragedies in his life. He got his medal anyhow. Probably should have gotten another. A hard man in his day I’d say.

That Down appearance in the All-Ireland final in 2010 was so out of the blue. Christ they lost to Wexford in Croker by 7 points a couple of years before.

Marty Clarke made some difference that year.

1 Like

Marty Clarke and Benny coulter were generational players. They had a great win v Kerry in the quarters I was at it. Those qf double headers were lovely days out. They were blessed to beat Kildare in the semi though.

2 Likes

Mark Poland was brilliant for them that year too. Marty Clarke definitely added the X factor though in the kind of way Conor Glass does now for Derry after his return from AFL. I remember expecting Sligo to beat Down in a qualifier that year and all of a sudden Down clicked and beat them out the gate. Drove on from there.

In fairness to O’Leary he did a decent marking job on Clarke in the final that year.

Why does Eoin Cadogan annoy me whenever I see him interviewed?

He seems like a fella who’d make a good panelist on tv. A hard fella and a good player. Bit of a Roy Keane type.

I saw him in action in a club game one time and he was some dickhead. Great hurler tbf

Noel is as sound as they come off the field. The Galvin rivalry was box office at the time

Cill Na Marta is a cold place in the winter I say.