Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

Ooooopsssss

That final, coincidentally, was also the last serious game of football he played in any code.

Pfft, he’s played many times for KOR since.

Good show on TG4 on Dara at the moment. Presume it’s been on before.

Still growing.

And no S&C is not for bridging the gap between minor and senior2

Its needed to get them ready for senior so he has a point

But the senior do it as well?

S&C for younger players is about building injury resilliance.

Yes but if they haven’t been doing it they wouldn’t be able for senior now. Smaller lads for example bouncing of shoulders and staying on their feet , they wouldn’t be able for that if they hadn’t been doing it. Your involved in it and besides preventing injury it certainly prepare them for battle

Everyone is different so i don’t think you can say anything as an absolute. Some guys are just more ready than others. But field play, training with better players etc would be more important. So thats why some counties have lads coming in and out for periods without ever being on the panel.

Its certainly going to help them, but it does not have to be a deciding factor on when or how they make it. I think speed of thought is more important now than ever in IC hurling and football. I would say there are more big hits in the club game, there are very little big hits in football now, more in hurling alright. So in theory some players may well be more suited at an earlier age (and possibly without great physical preperation) to playing IC than Senior club.
Look at Mannion for Galway, doesn’t look conditioned at all (i say that knowing looks can lie) but he was well up to it cos he has a brain.

Taking hits etc is more about technique and mentality anyway than anything you do in the gym although stability work certainly helps. Its not rugby we are talking about.

Totally agree on speed of thought. It vital. And being able to have it after a hit is also key. Have you been with any ic cork teams ie minors?

No. Got to see them up close alright as they both trained beside us at various times and i know a few of the people involved.

They are making a big thing out of S&C now with the development squads etc but i think they are completely missing the point. Having these S&C workshops for kids only emphasizes the belief that its all seperated whereas i believe they should be teaching integration and how things transfer to the field. As well as the fact they are wasting whole get togethers on S&C which is brainless. They still don’t teach them anything about movement and energy leaks because of poor movement.

Possibly and deflecting from the basic skills, working on concentration and speed of thought. Will you ever get into an ic u think kev? And how much to you rate jie o Conner? It did some job with them Clare lads, but these things need time and a vision…

Its good for exposure, but nothing else. Being an IC S&C coach is very limiting unless you get a particularly intelligent and forward thinking manager who allows you and the coach (say a hurling coach for example) to work together and have long term plans. Problem is most managers have no interest in long term development. You can see someone like Jim Gavin is different and allows people take ownership of their role.

Where someone like me would do the most damage and have the most enjoyable job is being given an S&C development role over seeing say all the development players from age 16 to 21 within a county.

Being with a County is only good for your business and getting your name out there, you’ll never get to do the job you are trained or would like to do. You might be there for 1-2 years where to really make an impact you would want 3 years.

Don’t know a whole pile about JOC but he seemed to work well with the hurling coaches and thats the key.

You’ll come a do a session FOC for me next year?

1 Like

Why would i do that? Would you ask an accountant to come in and do your books for free?

To help someone out. Plus, you never know i could return a favour.

I do enough of helpi g out without having to drive a few hours on a promise.

Not to mention the fact that the affect i could have in one session is more or less zero. Maybe if i did a complete battery of tests over a weekend and did some Movement videos i could then give some valuable feedback. But anything less is a waste of time.

Agreed o joc and like you say unless with forward thinking coaching limerick are going nowhere

You know where i am if you ever need a favour.

Bad state of affairs one of our forum brothers wouldn’t do a twist for another.