Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

Fair enough, I wouldn’t agree with that but I would t dispute your opinion.

1 Like

Incredible nostalgia looking back at that episode with Pat Fox. You didn’t have to look far for heros as a Tipperary boy back then and many’s the day I was Fox or English pucking the ball against the gable end back home.

I loved his response to the question was it worth it.
Seems to be a default question to ask players who play an amateur game.

3 Likes

His goal against Galway in the 87 semi final was one of the best I’ve ever seen

1 Like

A super player . Decent show . A pity no mention of his club . That was some forward line,
cleary , Dec Ryan , Leahy . Fox , Bonner & English .

1 Like

He would score point after point. He had a great engine and battled and fought very hard.

One of the greatest of all time

4 Likes

cc @Fat_Pox

The Limerick 07 part of the Mullane show just now was very enjoyable
‘Oh he’s got another, there’s no stopping Donie Ryan’

Just watching it there, Donal Óg was a very poor goalie

1 Like

I wouldn’t have thought so mate

Donal Og revolutionized goalkeeping

Donald og was a fairly average shot stopper even at his peak. Very good organiser and decent puckout but Nash is a far better keeper in a technical sense and he wouldn’t be a tier below the likes of Cummins, Fitzhenry and Fitzgerald.

I’m probably biased as I saw more of him but I reckon Fitzhenry was clearly the best of them. Dónal Óg was a grand keeper about the same level as Adrian Ronan and Niall Patterson.

4 Likes

agreed re Fitzhenry

Davy Fitz always got the limelight but could never understand how anyone would rate him higher than Fitzy. Was only 2008 or so when he started to have poor games and he’d been playing the guts of 15 years at a high level at that stage. He never craved attention either like some others of his vintage which might be the reason others get rated higher.

1 Like

If shot stopping is the main criteria then Donal og is definitely second tier, but there’s more to it than that.
Cummins is a cunt but was definitely the best of that generation

Fitzhenry was by far and away the best conventional shotstopper with his hurley although he did get plenty of opportunity to show it off. His profile was further added to by his ability to get goals from frees and pens.

Donal og was the best with regard puckouts and organising around him. He was very average otherwise.

Cummins I think only ever made one mistake in championship. He was very dependable. He wasn’t the best shot stopper in the conventional sense but was the bravest and used his body to stop many goal bound attempts. He also had the best presence around the goal.

Fitzy was good but a level below Cummins and Fitzhenry.

I don’t have much time for Davy Fitz but he was an excellent and very consistent keeper who made a huge amount of big performances and clutch plays with games on the line be it saves or penalties as is easily in the same tier as Cummins and Fitzhenry.

1995 Munster final, 1997 Munster final, All Ireland Final 1997, 1999 Munster semi final to name but a few.

Joe Quaid was as good a shotstopper as any of them. However he had a shorter career and the 1994 final casts a long shadow.

Noel Skehan

1 Like