Laochra Gael - Back, and to the left hand on top

No lhot

My grandfather was a citog. Could apparently kick the ball through the eye of a needle with his left and got it bate out of him to kick with his right. Physically bate out of him

I’ve yet to see anybody hit the ball with the butt of the hurley, apart from in the snooker/hurling compromise rules games.

So the ‘on top’ thing refers to on top of the other hand not on the top of the hurley. Confusing enough in fairness. Easy to see how the two lads are getting so vexed over who was wrong.

Golf is lhot for a right hander

2 Likes

That whole reverse grip thing put me off playing golf completely as a young fella. I had a few lessons at one stage and it just felt completely unnatural (and pointless, in my young brain) to be holding the club that way.

There is a long accepted terminological usage in the game that the hand nearest the hurl’s handle is considered ‘on top’. You can find this usage in Tony Wall’s Hurling (1965) and Carbery’s Hurling: Ireland’s National Game (1946) and much earlier. That emphasis is the clear history of this term’s use.

4 Likes

Ger Farragher also right handed but strong side was his left side

Correct, of course.

GF writes with his left hand.

The story here doesn’t make sense

Was it TCD, “people” or a “person”? The story changes constantly, and he even adds in some bizarro knowledge on sending stuff to journalists.

Fuck sake

Now, this craic is precisely the shite I was referencing. This lad cannot allow a pleasant civil interesting discussion to take its own shape because of fixation.

This gobdaw – who is Sadney in sadder rags – is yesterday’s doxxer. Now, I ask the question: is it any wonder you might resort to term ‘autistic’ when dealing with this level of fixation? If people think this craic is fine, so be it. I will happily spend hours discussing hurling grips – but one individual’s derangement is not just bizarre but also acutely boring.

This individual will not let any discussion take place unless he is front and centre, one guise or another. He was on to me about a ‘Manchester United’ thread here and a ‘Shamrock Rovers’ thread elsewhere. I have never read, and never would read, a soccer thread. Soccer bores me. Pure lunacy…

Decide what ye want. I am robust but have a low boredom threshold. Is one deranged individual, who has not a jot about hurling, into the bargain (as per the Joe Deane/Gary Kirby inanities), going to dominate hurling discussion?

There is no doxxing by moi.

There are threads on here with that info freely available. Go have a search see- including one where you went off the scale after your beloved Cats were murdered. I happily deleted when asked that post.

You though are clearly doing some searching. Who is this person? Oh wait, you said it was people beforehand. The mask slips.

You are a nasty individual, going round here saying people have had lobotomy’s and are autistic, and doing some background digging on IDs. You have some fans on here for sure, but the truth is out.

You are deranged. And I knew exactly what buttons to push. How does that status feel?

You are a moronic no mark. And always will be.

Welcome to goodbye.

How? You are digging about some no mark on the internet, why?

Who was it? People? Or a person? Who? You’ve said both.

Boom.

Cut to the chase lads.

A fair play man, a secluded field and 500 quid a man stake.
I’ll hold the money.

The first man that’s had enough forfeits the money

Ye can do punching or insults whichever ye fancy

Well who is it? Why are you out searching?

Come on mate. Gary Kirby had 100% the hurley caught wrong.

did he used to be in the irish times?