Laois GAA- bunch of hicks turning on eachother

Borris will always hold a special place in the heart of anyone from Cork/Limerick etc who ever got a Bus Eireann bus to Dublin.

2 Likes

I was at a 21st in Rathdowney 24-ish years ago and after it it was a minibus spin to the disco in the Leix county. All they were selling were cans out over the bar. I was through it there lately, it was a ghost town.

Much like a lot of places in the midlands now, by passed and forgotten.

1 Like

Is that the place where the bus pulled in at back of hotel for a pitstop?.. Remember getting the bus to Limerick a few times as a teenager.

That’s the one. Horrific.

It was a godsend if you were hanging for a shit

1 Like

Back then Boden were viewed as a team that were soft and windy. Some teams used rough them up along the lines you refer to and felt that this would keep Boden down

Boden through this period and once the breakthrough came well it well and truly came

Boden teams now are a hardier bunch , even their 3rd team is well conditioned!!They have a serious gym facility up in the santia maria pitches

I don’t think they were soft. I’d say two teams could beat them in noughties - craobh and Ucd. Chiarains got old and ucd got fcuked out, then boden dominated…crokes came with a team and then cuala raised it to a level no other dublin team had before…

Back in the nineties I often rode that bus that pulled into the Leix county. The Jax was indeed horrific.

1 Like

Scroll down a few posts. :smile:

https://m.facebook.com/makingbigbank/posts/add-the-shite-out-me-on-snapchat/1410971525622889/

Brilliant isnt it?

Greg was wronged tbf looking at that footage.

Greg wasn’t simple. But he got a right few clips in that incident.

Rough for a man of god.

He took some belts :see_no_evil:

Chipped a tooth too, the other fella wasn’t able to take a dig like he doled them out.

What about his tooth?!

Mount Leinster Rangers went up to Portlaoise about 18 months ago to face Camross in the Leinster Club Championship. They were prepared for war. Couldn’t believe how soft Camross were. Rangers beat them handily enough and there wasn’t a peep out of Camross.

That happens. Toomevara are gone soft too in Tipp. I watched Kiladangan annihilate them in the north u21 final last year both in the scoreboard and when Toome attempted to start fighting. Kiladangan battered them and then laughed at them as they left the field with their tails between their legs.

This is surely down to Niamh Breathnach, the Labour Party and the 1994-97 Rainbow Coalition and their “free” third level education initiative. Lads that would have become farm labourers instead went off to study Agricultural Science in universities, became friendly with hurlers from neighbouring clubs and counties, had some rough edges knocked off and became less inclined to commit grievous bodily harm on the hurling field. You can see it in once violent clubs all over the country. Now they struggle to get lads sent off for two innocuous yellow card offences.

3 Likes

You see it in just about every county now rural clubs are really struggling. Your own county Wexford a case in point. Over a 50 year spell up until a few years ago, Rathnure, Buffers Alley and Oulart won about 40 county championships between them. I noticed in the match Programme at last year’s semi final against Tipperary, between the three of them they supplied one player (Shaun Murphy) out of the match day 26. Most of the players were from townie clubs or quasi townie/super clubs like St Martins.

Some knowledge of club hurling for an english cricket fan.