Leavin' Gerrard

Yaya Toure. Eriksen. David Silva for example

Yaya got 20 league goals one season

1 Like

Man United fans will combust with fury when Liverpool win the league next month.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Kevin Nolan scored ten plus goals for Newcastle from midfield two seasons in a row.

I doubt any of them got ten goals plus any more than twice in the PL did they? Hard enough thing to do. Maybe yaya cos he took pens. Lampard is more the exception rather than it being a stick to beat Gerrard and Scholes with.

Not when it was spawned by a dive.

1 Like

Not a clear cut chance.

1 Like

I know. And he still scored!

I think if Rafa was over Liverpool at the time, he would have subbed him off but you could see what he was trying to do, redeem himself. Listened to and seen interviews, I have some sympathy for him, as much as I’d have for a DJ-boxing professional footballer. That moment has haunted him since. There were chances in that second half. Think Suarez had one tipped over the bar afterwards. Not sure was it from that effort the awful Iago Aspas corner put an end to the game…

Very different footballers. Alonso could pass like nobody else. However, if you need to grab a match by the scruff of the neck, Gerrard was the man. Alonso was not going to be winning the TFK fun run that’s for sure. The combination of Mascherano-Alonso with Gerrard in front of them was world class.

Apart from the classic In the Air Tonight.

If they were “world class” they’d have won one league title, minimum.

1 Like

It was a fluke. A header from a set play, a dodgy penalty and a speculative shot fumbled into the net by the keeper. It was a complete fluke.

Milan should have won that game 5-0 or thereabouts.

How was that fluke? Set plays are part of the game you understand?

And it was a penalty.

Their problem was a lack of a bench, especially in 08/09, the one season that Benitez really used that formation, with Torres up front. Lost two games all league season but some bad draws. Beyond the first eleven (which had some weakness - LM/LW being one), there wasn’t enough depth

Man Utd were also very strong back then.

It was a dive, plain and simple.

A goal from a set play from a 50 yard free kick or thereabouts is not a clear-cut chance.

Wasn’t Maldini’s first also from a set piece?

Excellent United team in all fairness. They were reigning European champions going into that season the cunts :joy:

Diving bastard

3 Likes

Yes. What’s your point?

Milan had countless clear cut chances in that game. Sheva could have had a hat trick but didn’t score.