Leaving Cert Results

Plenty examples. Kerry group, some banks, semi states run these. The practices had the same but was cut back in the past 10/15 years

1 Like

Correct. They’ve been doing it for a while now. Excellent way of getting a foothold into the world of going to work whilst studying at the same time.
When the students on placement come into work, yeah you’d have good craic ribbing them about how easy they have it and all the “back in my day” stories but they get some opportunity all the same. I had to wait until I was in my late 20s before I set foot into a pharma company whereas these kids are getting 4-12 months experience that will stand to them so early in their careers.

1 Like

Thanks mate. Bumped for @iron_mike.

Ye are becoming the 51st state, I did warn about this trend.

If you are no good at Math, you have no business in science.

1 Like

Maths.

Neither abbreviation is correct or incorrect you utter pedant.

Same with Ernest & Young. They realise the decision making skills of modern graduates is shit.

Education in the Western World is shit. It rewards only 1 type of intelligence (nothing at all wrong with this type oer say) but people have realised this leads to leaders being dreadful decision makers often lacking soft skills and emotional intelligence. A few of the European and Scandanavian countries are already well ahead in this regard.

Some of the people who ended up being doctors in this country is disturbing.

1 Like

Which is completely fucking dumb.

Not true.

Ye?

There are calculators and computers nowadays.

Common sense is a problem with the Irish education system…

Too many kids (69%) are going to college when they’d be far better off getting a trade.

1 Like

College was the most outstanding time I will ever have, and, tbh, not especially hard compared to the leaving cert. One year, i didn’t attend a single lecture between Christmas and easter, and still managed to pass, albeit by the skin of my teeth. In truth, it had little relevance to actual work, but it is absolutely fucking fantastic.

7 Likes

Depends on the course you did Flatty. Plenty of courses in college will see you putting in bigger hours than you would in the world of 9 to 5 work.

1 Like

Only recovering today since Wednesday. Some night out. Gets better every year.

4 Likes

Don’t know if the data backs that up. The reality is that the number of good paying trade or manufacturing based roles is plummeting in advanced economies. They are either being outsourced or automated out of existence, and have been for decades. The types of jobs that support a middle class standard of living are increasingly knowledge based. While it’s nice to think that half of the college students out there could just as easily make a good living doing a trade or an apprenticeship, the truth is that they can’t. Isolated anecdotes about a fella making a killing fitting kitchens don’t quite balance out the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Now the return on a college education is declining, but that’s a whole different matter. And those declining real incomes are as relevant to the non-college educated as they are to the educated.

Sparks and fitters in the local factory regularly make in excess of 100k a year :disappointed:
Not arguing your point. Just saying.

A cousin of mine told me that recently about that place. he is a sparks and was back there during the shut down and was asking about a job there. TBH I didnt actually believe him when he told me how much the money was? how come so much

1 Like