Leaving Cert Results

Advise her to learn a language, properly.

3 Likes

Yes they do. Happened to the course i’m on currently.

Funnily enough I am mulling over that idea. I have fluent German and French and it has served me well,. One of the options is to take a year out and reapply next year with this year’s results. I told the sister to consider it and let her off to Germany for a year.

2 Likes

Top advice.

390 is great and makes sure she knows it fair play to her

Ah yea Joe. Like I said before, the whole thing is completely salvageable. It’s just a question of untangling the mess with the cao form. She’s set herself back a year but she’ll be ok.

1 Like

A year is nothing.

Absolutely agree. Only thing is I enjoy a whiskey on a Friday night. I’ll have to defer it to Saturday night in order to be 100% for Saturday morning. But the invoice will demand a bottle of teachers for the consultation

You’ve a problem, pal.

Go on…

Go on Harry. No advice e is bad advice in this predicament

2 Likes

I haven’t drank anywhere close to a bottle in ten years. A bottle would last at least a year in this house.

They’ll get 8 years of slave labour out of them then rather than 4 :clap:

3 Likes

It’s not a bad idea. We were just talking about it early- the Leaving Cert is blown way out of proportion, it’s absolutely ridiculous. It’s a relatively important exam, I suppose, but the hype and pressure surrounding it is disgraceful imo.

Obviously you want to do as well as you can, and on the day of the results, under-performing is a serious blow but it’s not the end of the world, as it is sometimes portrayed.

Even if you do really well and somehow pick a course that actually suits you, what then? Stuck in a job for the rest of your life? I know a lot of people who didn’t go to college straight after the Leaving, and others who did a course they didn’t like and ended up doing poorly but they are all fairly well-adjusted people and getting on well all the same.

1 Like

@ironmoth a lot of courses reopen if they don’t fill. Alternatively if she gets into the college with the course she wants you can sometimes transfer in to the course from another one if there’s a drop out.
A lot of IT courses you can do two years get your feet or whatever and start in second year of a similar degree. Same length of time but if she’s eager to get off to college that’s an option. I think the disappointment of not going off to college when you were built up for it/all your mates are going is the big thing for youngsters rather than not actually getting the course or the points or whatever.
I always thought the gap year was a good idea in England. You’re way too young to be deciding what to do with your life at that age. I nearly think young ones should fuck and off and relax for five years after school figure out what they want, work a few different jobs etc and go back as a mature student get all the grants etc. And have a few bob saved up.

1 Like

Yes, that’s fine in theory. But when you’re talking about Finance/Business/IT/Law etc, these are fields where you’ll find it hard to break in without the right degree or results. Not having a degree at all is another thing again. You might know what you’re doing, but those professions value the concrete qualification over potential knowledge.

1 Like

Anyone who drinks that piss shouldn’t be giving advice on anything.

4 Likes

You get a degree as part of these apprenticeships. I thought I mentioned that above. You do both work and college, funded by employer

Id be surprised if you qualified as an accountant for example thru one of these schemes, degree or no degree, that you wouldn’t be highly employable subsequently

1 Like