Leaving cert worriers

Applied Mathematics and Japanese

2 Likes

The minister for education thinks the leavings a cod

If I was starting a teaching career I’d learn 2 languages with English, Spanish and French, you could fuck off then and teach English out foreign. You’d never be stuck id say

1 Like

Thanks boy, but he’s set on both history and English, though his business is decent, must have been a really proud day for your mam👍
We’re also working class so it’s a v big deal to get a kid into third level, dad’s gang were ordinary fishermen / hurlers from Blackrock, moved to suburban Bishopstown but still the same working class values, which included none of us going to 3rd level( Shame as 2 of my brothers who went to trades got mostly honours at intercert level, boy who got all honours in his leaving chose to work in a bakery ( manager now for years but big regrets at not having a go at it)
Thank you for the sterling advice again, I’ll have a serious chat to him regarding another 2 subjects, but like me he loves history and English

3 Likes

Fantastic achievement boy, furthest I got was open university and an environmental science course at St John’s college ( never finished went back up a ladder )

2 Likes

Feckin hell , scraped a c in Irish, speaks or at least understands Romanian well but Japanese and maths he’d struggle big time outside of teaching her love anything to do with sports

Youth work is satisfying but regarding a steady income unless you’ve degrees and are prepared to work on difficult projects etc it’s hard to go up the line, my late friend John F Kennedy loved it but financially was only getting there when he drowned ( ran the family bud and fans at CCFC)

We’ll done to the young lad and even your good self for driving him on.
Contrary to the general theme I’d advocate the apprenticeship option. Teachers are falling over each other chasing positions whereas certain trades are and will be in never ending demand. Just my own opinion mind.

3 Likes

I’d agree with that.

1 Like

I agree in one way but honestly boy he’s not cut out for it, helped me last year sanding filling sanding filling,
Undercoating, few hours
Up he pops” dad how much more of this shite?”
About 35 years bud says I - if you don’t get the fuckin leaving cert

9 Likes

@Corksfinedtboy this tread has been a great read and well done to the young buck. If it comes to it and he doesn’t get what he wants/hates it there is many different options for switching. Engage with the college as they want to keep everyone in there to come out the other end with a qualification and a happy person. Today is a big step in that journey and he’s on a good road so far.

1 Like

My brother a toolmaker by trade did it, now married in Thailand :thailand: to another teacher, does online teaching in the evening, became Buddhist and gave up drink and cannabis ( changed for the better,my parents adopted 2 as babas , other chap overdosed a few years ago,yet he’d the looks charm personality, other boy has a webbed hand, hearing problem etc but served his time, went to a language school effort and now the worlds his oyster, fluent Thai now yet the cupla focal never entered his brain

3 Likes

Thank you for the kind and wise words

1 Like

He initially wanted to become a school chaplain but that takes years and ideally you need a teaching degree firstly

He sounds like a great lad, he can do a masters and get qualified as a chaplain after his degree (if he wants). I’m delighted for you both.

2 Likes

And he might totally change his mind after three years of college and be thinking of something else down the line. Don’t worry. He will be fine. Keep supporting him the way you’re doing.

2 Likes

Many thanks boy, yeah he’s a good kid , reads in church for years so has a deep Christian belief, much better than I thank God

1 Like

Will do and thanks for the encouragement and kind words

1 Like

@Corksfinedtboy , hope your young lad got his course.

7 Likes

He did boy and thank you, relieved isn’t big enough a word I’m exhausted mentally tbh , spent the day praying at work , in the water and hiking

17 Likes