Leinster Hurling Thread *

I’m starting to regain my composure.

1 Like

In truth I was very disappointed that there was no discussion about the KK v Offaly game and I took it out on you

Catching is a fabulous skill in hurling :smile:

Cc @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy

1 Like

@corner_back, please provide your analysis and review of the Kilkenny-Offaly game.

cc @Fran.

1 Like

It was superb pal. Very difficult to execute at the height the ball came at, on the full, while holding off a corner back.

I wasn’t at it. Kilkenny hit lots and lots of wides. @Midshipman_Asha is your best bet here.
Offaly will give Wexford loads of it on Saturday but Wexford’s sweeper system will discommode them badly as, although Offaly’s forwards can hurl and win ball, they lack pace. In general the team is big, a little slow, a bit raw, and suspect down the middle of their defence. Kevin Martin is a great man manager and will really have been targeting this match for months.

1 Like

They probably see Wexford at home as their best chance of a win alright, but have they been holding anything back in the first two games against the big guns? I had/have my doubts that Offaly would be used to the intensity of a third championship match in 14 days (that isn’t the old Leinster round robin with themselves, Westmeath, Laois, Carlow etc).

I doubt they were holding back but I’d say this is the first game they genuinely believe they could win.

I can see us beating them by something like 2-21 to 1-17.

It’s already looking like Galway at home to Dublin in the final round will be a “loser leaves” battle.

@Fitzy should be in better form really with his native Carlow flying in the football and the Carlow hurlers back on track after beating Meath in the Joe McDonagh Cup at the weekend.

2 Likes

@Bandage, what happened here?

I forgot that Saturday’s game clashes with the champion’s league final. That weakens Offaly’s home advantage as there’ll probably be as many yellowbellies as Offaly supporters there.

Can’t believe RTÉ didn’t show this melee incident, Rory O’Connor’s pressure free from the stand sideline in the immediate aftermath or Kevin Foley’s catch which led to O’Connor’s second equalising free. But in fairness they needed to have a 10-minute chat about football championship structure for the 857th time earlier on so time was precious.

Basically Cian O’Callaghan shoved Harry Kehoe over by the sideline just on the Wexford side of halfway when racing out for a ball. Colm Lyons hesitated for more than a split second but blew for the free. Gilroy, Cunningham etc went apeshit. Usual drill - running along the line, gurning, roaring, gesticulating, pointing, encroaching a bit onto the pitch. They weren’t best pleased to say the least.

Gilroy ended up with the sliotar in his hand. Simon Donohoe was first over to him from Wexford and was trying to wrestle it back and then Sutcliffe was in and then a few more from each side. I didn’t see anything untoward happen - no more than a bit of pulling, dragging and shoving. Rory O’Connor was in the middle of it too.

Two minutes elapsed and we were down by 2-13 to 0-18 at this stage. I feared we’d lose the free along with wasting valuable time to turn it around. I mentioned how Lyons took 4 minutes to dish out a few cards in the first half and added on 1 minute only.

In the end he left us with the free and O’Connor dusted himself down and drilled it over the black spot. He has a lovely bit of moxy about him.

Unreal.

4 Likes

A two hundred word post about a Wexford chap scoring a point from a free.

18 Likes

It meant so much to the portly financier.

1 Like

I can barely take jibes from @Fran but I cannot and I will not accept twee Limerick simpletons casting aspersions. Edit your post.

1 Like

Can you give us young o Connors lineage ?? No reference to 1996 .

He’s the High King of Ireland.

Son of John. Nephew of George. I think there were 3/4 O Connors on the St Martins team that won the county there last year.

He’s the real deal.

I’m sorry but @Ashman politely stated that no reference should be made to 1996. That rules out John and George unfortunately.