Leinster Hurling Thread *

Thatā€™s a fine summary pal, @Franā€™s post is bizarre to say the least.

It was a poor quality game. The employment of sweepers by both teams meant it was almost like a training session from the puck outs.

I thought we conceded possession a bit easily from Nolanā€™s 80-90 yard puck outs as they ran into space.

A vital win for us though. We would have lost that last year for weā€™d have missed 4 or 5 scoreable frees from 12 as opposed to the HKOIā€™s 1 miss. For. Lol.

The Biffos will be lowering the blade on Saturday but we should have too much for them.

1 Like

Your public backing is very much appreciated, pal. My synopsis and power of recall were both really excellent.

I was watching The Sunday Game highlights after my post and was in awe at my composure in knitting together those last frantic passages of play and accurately describing the where/when/who.

I felt people who didnā€™t attend this non-televised game might be interested in seeing a description of what happened ahead of todayā€™s newspaper reports, especially given RTEā€™s notorious inability to cut decent highlights.

And I thought commenting on the games was a nice counterpoint to the tedious to and fros going on elsewhere all over TFK.

To say I was hurt by @Fran ā€˜s snide post is an understatement.

2 Likes

It was both snide and stupid, pal.

To just say that Wexford won this by 2 points would have missed the point(s) entirely.

I agree with your point on the puck outs. Dublin were able to manipulate space too easily for my liking. Nolan was able to hit lads at midfield and in the half forward line.

On the other hand, we used Liam Ryan and the corner backs to ā€œget outā€ very very very often. Whatever way they were ā€œsplittingā€ to try stop us at source wasnā€™t working.

But itā€™s still a bit disconcerting to see your full back getting the ball on the D and then taking on a player, going by him and knocking the ball into turf and back into his hands to avoid any ā€œcatching it three timesā€ issue when heā€™s only around 35 yards out.

We only used 17 players yesterday. Perhaps more evidence of Davy not trusting the panel depth? Do you think we should make 3, 4 or 5 changes for Offaly and take a calculated gamble that weā€™ll be too strong for them?

It was very insensitive and in poor taste from @Fran. Your excellent match summary of proceedings in Innovate Wexford Park yesterday is much appreciated by all real hurling people here.

4 Likes

I think we need to win the game pal. I donā€™t think weā€™ve much depth in the panel.

I was also concerned with some of the dinking of stick passes over the left corner forward to Reck yesterday. Iā€™d much prefer a hand pass. The tippy tappy stuff will end after next week though and it might suit us better.

1 Like

Yes #metoo.

For anyone not at the game, these were dinky passes from Ryan to overlapping corner backs outside him after receiving short puck outs.

Throwing the ball up in a tennis second serve style and striking in a deft floaty way from above his head with the hurl at a 10 oā€™clock or 2 oā€™clock angle depending on whether he was striking with his left or right.

I feared a few of them were going to go awry.

@LetterkennyMan has a lovely way of saying ā€˜awryā€™.

1 Like

Ryan has a very strange habit of striking the ball when he wants to hit a 20 yard pass. He is very prone to the ā€œshovelā€ type pass, where he hits the ball with the hurl facing forwards and bats it in an upward stroke. That has gone awry on him a few times over the years too. A firm handpass would do the job equally as good and be less susceptible to making a fuck up.

@bandage, how did Conor Mac go yesterday?

and add Lee Chin to your evaluation too @Bandage. Neither got a lot of good words from Liam, Tom, Billy or Gerry yesterday. Although a good view to get a win with 2 of the ā€œstarā€ players under performing.

Not too well. Iā€™d say he only got the ball in hand around 5 or 6 times. He set up Oā€™Keeffeā€™s point in the second half but didnā€™t score. Oā€™Callaghan had him for pace and Moranā€™s positioning was good as sweeper to block off routes to find him. Oā€™Callaghan stood him up and made decent tackles a couple of times. He was taken off just as Dublin abandoned the sweeper (took off the corner back and brought on Treacy) so it might have been worth holding off on taking him off for a while longer.

Your post was what I went straight to after I woke up and checked the result first thing this morning (5.15am Australian Eastern Standard Time) and I hugely appreciated the recall and detail from a first hand witness, one alive to the big events but also the subtleties of the game.

I think the issue with @Fran is that you didnā€™t start with ā€œI supposeā€ and this may have confused him.

3 Likes

Not too well. Sunday Game showed his two points. Our first one of the game when he sold Oā€™Donnell a dummy and a good one in the third quarter when he appeared off Paul Morrisā€™s shoulder to accept a pass and point. He looked a bit indecisive at times. Wasnā€™t sharp at securing the ball into himself. Quite proddy / pokey on occasion when he could have nipped in and cleanly claimed possession, ran down a few blind alleys and soloed into contact (Oā€™Donnell stayed on his hurl each time he meandered off on runs) and didnā€™t win anything clean in the air. That said, we took short puck outs for the most part and ran the ball forward. He was wing forward throughout as heā€™s usually been under Davy. Need more from him.

I thought it was an awful load of predictable cliched bollix and that a 14 would make a better job of it.

As predictable as you Tipp cunts getting your arse handed to you by Limerick?

need more from McDonald too, although Iā€™ve long had the opinion that Davys style of play is not at all suitable to McDonalds strengths. I reckon Davy would prefer to have the likes of Dunbar or Dunne in there for pace rather than the old style target man, but Mac is a better player than those guys so is in a bit of a quandary. I think Chin will come good, not so sure Mac will though.

McDonald caught a ball at shin height yesterday that was travelling at serious pace. It was a fabulous piece of skill. Pity he lost the ball afterwards though.

Change the record you dullard.

It seems Iā€™ve really upset the Wexford posters here and @Fitzy.

6 Likes