Leinster Hurling Thread *

Itā€™s wider than Croke Park but shorter than Cusack Park (I think)

I think the Wexford starting team is quite a bit stronger and better balanced than last yearā€™s Leinster Final team so looking forward to seeing how we get on tomorrow. That said, itā€™s still the round robin so itā€™s not decisive for overall championship prospects.

Thereā€™s been a quiet evolution since last summer. Damien Reck missed the championship last year after a brilliant debut league campaign and heā€™s back. Rory Oā€™Connor only started the Waterford quarter final following his Leaving Cert. Paudie Foley was on a year out and Kevin Foley was a bit part player. Theyā€™re all key players now.

Reck v Conor Whelan was shaping up to be a great battle in the league quarter final in March before Reck was forced off injured in the first half. Iā€™d say theyā€™ll go at it again. Weā€™ll need Liam Ryan to reverse the tables after Conor Cooneyā€™s Tour de France on him last year and Iā€™d say Donohoe will pick up Concannon.

P Foley adds much needed height in defence. Donohoe at wing back last year was giving away around 6 inches on Joseph Cooney and couldnā€™t cope as the game progressed. Murphy, Oā€™Hanlon and Oā€™Keeffe will be performing similar roles as last year. Murphyā€™s form has taken an upturn in the championship after an average league.

I think K Foley and Aidan Nolan is a better midfield combination than Chin and J Oā€™Connor. An abrasive, hard working, strong chap with a clever, creative, scoring threat. Both mobile and cover a lot of ground.

Who will Galway want as their spare defender if Wexford play 5 forwards as usual? Presumably Harte? They had Harte marking J Oā€™Connor in the league (canā€™t recall who was spare) and he was destroyed in the air, but he was good against us last year when spare. The other forwards will probably rotate a bit, but I think

J Oā€™Connor, R Oā€™Connor, Chin
Morris, McDonald

is stronger than

Morris, Nolan, H Kehoe
Guiney, McDonald

Thereā€™s a bit of a myth in the media about Wexford being a physically imposing team. Itā€™s a team littered with small chaps - Fanning, Reck, Donohoe, Murphy, Oā€™Keeffe, K Foley, R Oā€™Connor and Morris.

Iā€™ll stop now as some posters donā€™t like long posts.

3 Likes

Iā€™m really looking forward to it. The impression I had from the league games is that the pitch seemed very crowded. Hope there are no injuries on either side. Itā€™ll be very close. Strange to think that if galway lose, as they may well, theyā€™ll be a game away from going out, despite having dismantled Kilkenny. We will see what cornelius is made of today. By the way @fran, what did you make of him last week? You rudely ignored my polite enquiry, which doesnā€™t quite come close to the time galway played (and lost to) kk in an I televised league game,and I asked midshipman asha how galway looked, and she replied that she didnā€™t know as she was watching Kilkenny. :-/ It did nothing for my rosy tinted view of kk hurling.

3 Likes

I hope bandage doesnā€™t sulk for the whole year again if Wexford lose like last year.

Heā€™ll never recover if the HOTY and GOAT shoves it up his bollox.

1 Like

I was in great form last year.

Youā€™re a great guy, kid. Donā€™t let these bastards get you down.

Dublins team to play Offaly. Been unlucky the first 2 games.

Gilroy makes one change as Dublin look to get off the mark in Leinster http://the42.ie/4048934

Heā€™ll be all right. He has his N plate now. He can make a quick getaway

images%20(2)

Apologies flatty, in truth I was more concerned with how weak KK looked. Cornelius reminded me of Mannion when he came on the scene first, probably a little bit bigger. I remember him getting on to a decent bit of ball and more than held his own

1 Like

It was your best year yet.

Thanks Fran. He seemed to arrive out of nowhere, and itā€™s very hard to tell sometimes. Kk were odd I thought. They seemed far better in the league. I havenā€™t seen Cody looking as despondent in an interview in a long time, and it wasnā€™t at simply losing I donā€™t think. Speaking as a galway man however, you canā€™t stamp on kk enough. Fuckers are like dandelions.

1 Like

Iā€™m hoping for a huge game from the Foley brothers.

Unreal tailbacks on the way through Ferns and Enniscorthy - I should have gone the coast road. But Iā€™m in Wexford now thank goodness, even though it took 2hrs 40 minutes instead of the usual 1hr 50 minutes. I drove all the way.

2 Likes

Well thereā€™ll be no match traffic on the coast road you big eejit. Why would anyone go by Foynes or Glin ffs.

Attractive curtain raiser underway for early arrivals. Avondale (Wicklow) v Kevinā€™s (Dublin) in Leinster league.

Another milestone, well done @Bandage

Should be a good

Any streams for the Wexford match?

Which sky sports channell is it on gents!