Leinster Hurling Thread *

Yes!!!

Heartbreak for Dublin. Must be wondering what they have to do

1 Like

Rory O’Connor from downtown.

Unreal.

2 Likes

I was listening to the last 15 minutes of it there on South East radio. Liam Spratt is some boyo.

The High King of Ireland Rory O’Connor. :clap:

2 Likes

A star is born

A bit sad that you barged your way through a load of kids to take that. Did he sign your hurl?

3 Likes

I was getting him to sign my forehead. Granted I shoved a few 8-year olds out of my way to get to him.

7 Likes

@the_man_himself @caoimhaoin

One game doesn’t mean he’s better than Lee Chin

If lee chin was named Liam Chawke there wouldn’t be half the hype. O Connor is a star.

Just from listening to the radio commentary (Liam Spratt), it sounded like Wexford coughed up bad goals again and against the run of way. Despite all the organisation that Davy has appeared to bring to Wexford in so many area, this has been a bad habit throughout his tenure.

That was a strange game in Innovate Wexford Park. I think we were the better team but nearly got mugged and had to win it twice.

We were much improved in converting our chances in the third quarter and looked comfortable at 0-18 at 1-10.

Fanning needlessly left his goal and gave away a pointed 65 and then Liam Ryan, after racing diagonally back to get to the ball near the end line in the right corner back position, was pickpocketed by Rushe. A pass was floated in the air along the 14 and one of our corner backs had a fresh air swipe at it. Paul Ryan gathered and had to maneuver some space before rifling past Fanning. It was suddenly game on at 0-18 to 2-11.

Dublin had abandoned the sweeper at that stage after David Treacy came on for Bill O’Carroll. Rushe was out in front of Ryan to turn and get a good equaliser then. Perhaps we should have left McDonald on as he might have profited from the space Dublin left at the back.

Fanning then messed up a puck out but got it back in the next phase of play and sent a pass out to Aidan Nolan around 40 yards out. Despite having a fine game up to then, he duffed his touch and Sutcliffe put Dublin in front. 1-3 without reply and Wexford were in melt down.

Rory O’Connor then levelled it in the last minute with a cracking free from distance out on the stand side sideline. But David Treacy put Dublin back in front with a good score at the start of injury time. Little Kevin Foley caught the long puck out and was wrestled to the ground for O’Connor to level again. 0-20 to 2-14.

A ball went down on top of Ryan and Rushe on the 14-yard line and not sure if Rushe had valid claims for a free. Shaun Murphy swept it up, I think, and played a short pass to Rory O’Connor just outside his own 45. He launched it over the bar from there. Murphy then won a ball in our own corner back area from the puck out and fed it to Dee O’Keeffe who ran the length of the field. He passed it off to Harry Kehoe and he drove the insurance point over. Shaun Murphy was much better today.

We missed two gilt edged goal chances in each half and Dublin took theirs. We also had some very bad wides in the first half and I think we deserved the win on the balance of play based on amount of chances created and converted. But it looked dodgy when we went behind twice late on and it was naturally a relief to get the win. I’m really not sure where we stand in the pecking order.

Cian O’Callaghan and Sean Moran were excellent for Dublin, as was Paddy Smyth in the corner. I also thought Eoghan O’Donnell had a fine game on Chin in holding him to 2 points.

7 Likes

Fuck me, “wexford won by 2” would’ve been sufficient

12 Likes

Absolutely no need for that.

:angry:

Sorry mate, I’m sure others would find it interesting but that level of detail should be reserved for the Wexford GGA thread.

1 Like

Don’t mind the fuckers. That’s a great report for interested people that were not at the match.

We rarely beat Dublin. Our first championship victory against them in 10 years. The least you can do is allow me the indulgence of riffing on the game.

were ye expecting a bigger crowd today bandage? I thought it would exceed 15k anyway

I thought the crowd was really poor. Wexford people are notorious band wagoners though.