Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2023

You canā€™t get them off the Limerick thread shur :person_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

Me and @fran are giving each other torrents of abuse on our Leinster hurling telegram group

The Leinster championship is devalued badly without Laois

Purcell did start most games for crokes last year. He played really well in the second half at midfield v Ballyhale scoring 4 pts i think. He has struggled to make an impression at senior level but is in the panel. Michael murphy is gone travelling. I think we are weaker this year with the loss of Crummy, McBride, O callaghan. Backs are ok but midfield is a big problem and the forwards were very dependent on Donal Burke in the league. I think we will most likely finish 4th behind Wexford.

1 Like

Id say your mixing Dara with his brother Sean who came on as a sub a few times

1 Like

Are they not in it?

Anywhere you see a thinsulate beanie hate, there weā€™ll be.
Anywhere you see a sending off, there weā€™ll be.
Anywhere you see a keeper stroll out to strike a free from 150 yards, there weā€™ll be.
Anywhere you hear someone shout ā€œhon Willy boyā€, there weā€™ll be.

We are in you.

2 Likes

Thats an excellent response in fairness.

With the greatest of respect to Chris Oā€™Leary, he wouldnā€™t be anywhere near the Cork team I donā€™t think, unless heā€™s improved massively.

DĆ³nal Burke is a nice hurler but will be easy to snuff out if heā€™s the only credible scoring threat.

Which McBride is gone travelling? Isnā€™t there two of them?

Only 3 players from the supposed Southside super clubs starting for Dublin.

Paddy Mullen must be 28 at least this year and making his championship debut.

A fine club hurler but it just shows the falling standards that while he was nowhere near a Kilkenny panel 4 or 5 years ago, heā€™s now straight in as a starter.

Would be interested in @Malarkey take on it. Cian Kenny must be gone off the boil altogether. He gave a Tour De France against Clare last year before a poor final and underwhelming League campaign.

Thought Kenny was awful in the league games I saw.

Kenny is talented but they donā€™t seem to really know what position he is. I think he played wing-back, midfield & wing-forward during the league.

He doesnā€™t seem to have kicked on after a promising introduction to senior hurling.

Heā€™s in Australia as far as I know. I think his good lady has an AFL contract out there.

Donā€™t be getting relegated out of it so.

Rian McBride is gone travelling. Darach is the brother but probably not good enough yet anyway. Chris o Leary is very average alright. Playing midfield because we donā€™t have anyone better.

Some decent prospects with our u20s and minors so its a 3 year job at least. Hopefully Micheal Donohoe is willing to stick around

Lawyer fucked us.

This year is a bit of a free hit for Dublin and MD with so many players after moving on like Rushe, Tracey, O Callaghan, Crummy.

Mattie Kenny didnt blood too many new lads in his 4 years in league or championship so in fairness to Donohoe who has cast the net wide. Iā€™d make it that there are 5 championship debutants on the 15 and another 6/7 on the bench.

Hard to know what way they will go. Wouldnt be one bit surprised if they lost to Antrim and then beat Wexford.

The backs are fairly solid despite no6 being an issue. FOTF (@Big_Dan_Campbell) Paddy Doyle is the long term one. Iā€™d have put him there like Cork did with Joyce. Dunphy must be out inj, he is their no1 corner back. GK is a dodgy one. Brennan has usually one clanger a game. Really surprised Gibbons hasnā€™t unsurped him.

The problems start from midfield up. Burke is the only standout. Would make every other IC team bar maybe Limerick. You couldnā€™t say that for the rest. Chris O Leary seems to be getting a culchie pass. Did nothing of note in club championship last year and has been moved around.

Boland in fairness had a good league while Considine and O Sullivan are goal threats if they can remain injury free. Sutcliffe I think is gone past it. The bench is poor enough with a few lads on it who wouldnt make good club teams around the country.

4 Likes

There has to be a chance Antrim come out of Leinster this year.

1 Like

Paddy will be 28 in July. All in all, he deserves a shot at it. If he steadies himself, Paddy could do a decent job there. But I agree with you: a major ask for someone of his age to step in and take on top intercounty midfielders. We shall see.

An unexpected Kilkenny team in some ways, with the bench fairly thin. Looks to have been largely picked on training ground form. Timmy Cliffordā€™s promotion was not really on the horizon. So he must be training strong. I would have tried Darragh Corcoran at centre back during the league. Now he gets a chance at centrefield.

We are back to PƔdraig Walsh at wing back, which will hardly work when crunch comes. I would like to see Conor Heary make a breakthrough.

Cian Kennyā€™s optimum position remains a puzzler, which does not help him. Probably hurling on the drift from corner forward, as part of a four man half forward line.

Martin Keoghan will be terrible disappointed. But he never looks like a summer forward. Or a convincing forward, really.

Paddy Deegan is out for six weeks because of a knee operation. Billy Drennan is out for six to eight weeks with a leg injury. Not a help, those absences.

Would imagine six Ballyhale Shamrocks championship starters is most ever for the club.

2 Likes