Leitrim Matters, the home of sitka spruce

Having breakfast in The Commercial in Ballinamore. There’s two auld lads at the table beside me, arguing the merits of European royal families of mostly German extraction.

It’s bizarre yet utterly marvellous.

1 Like

Freddy must be in his element with an actual bone-fide tourist. This time last year at or during the €9 meal wheeze Freddy was so busy pumping drink the food Dept closed entirely. When asked for the obligatory pizza the standard reply was “across the road you fucker, he has to live too”…
While he’s occasionally stressed Freddy is an alright sort. Jim Gannon will be one of those expounding on European dynasties, a big, rangy man with tremenjus oratorial skills.

2 Likes

This lad was actually a Corkman. Arlene, the lady behind the bar explained to me after that he was after getting the contract for the Local Link bus service for South Leitrim. He seemed to know the place well judging by his exchanges with locals.

Good image from this exhibition

https://www.rte.ie/brainstorm/2021/0719/1236031-martin-parr-ireland-1979-2019/

1 Like

The The Rainbow before i even click in the link

1 Like

Correct :clap:

1 Like

That’s a great photo

Massey will be on this in a flash……

1 Like

Grrrrr

The story of Anne Kelly (nee Silke)from Dromahair.

What’s the Leitrim link here?

She was married in Dromahair for the last 40 years.Herself and her husband passed away the same weekend earlier on in the year.Her husband died on friday and she was found dead on the Saturday morning in her bed.Id be good friends with 2 of her sons

1 Like

The poor woman. The brave woman. Those absolute animals in Galway.

Wasn’t just Galway I’m afraid.

Right. Poor woman.

At least she seemed to have a reasonable life afterwards - as much as was possible.

An horrific read. What kind of a country were we altogether? Fucking savages!!!

The “Howya Bon, I’m Mark Killellea” joke has lost its lustre. Fuck Galway…

The Church yielded power but you’d still have to be some cunt to carry on like that family did.

I think the judgmental and non dissent nature of the Church created such instances which allowed sadistic psychopaths to operate with immunity.

2 Likes