Lesser forms of cricket thread

Strauss doing very well for England now. They’ve been shite in general but he’s given them an outside chance of doing it.

Final powerplay taken.

71-8 England. :smiley:

Rain delay.

Windies need 68 from 38 overs, Gayle on the rampage.

They destroyed them. England are really gone to shit. The Aussies will annihilate them in the summer.

Big cricket news of the day is Sachin Tendulkar’s 200 not out in India’s one day international victory over South Africa. It’s the first ever double century in one day internationals. He reached it in the last over. The 200 was off 147 balls.

Saw a quick highlights package of it at lunch. Tremendous stuff.

Some player is Tendulkar.

I see E&W have picked another Saffer 22 year old Somerset wicket keeper. One week after
he becomes eligible. Scored a ton on debut.
It may be in legal but it can’t be right.
Doesn’t give much of a message to young English players.

Against probably the best one day team in the world now. Sachin’s been going nearly 20 years and he’s producing incredible form at the moment. We’re witnessing one of the greats of modern sport here, it’ll be a sad day when he’s gone, but the way he’s going, thats not anytime soon. All the more remarkable that he’s still doing it in both tests and the shorter form of the game.

It has to be noted that he is not in fact the first player to do this - Belinda Clark scored 224 for Australia against Denmark in the 1997 Women’s World Cup in Mumbai. Though I’ll leave it up to you individually as to whether wimmins sport counts.

I remember Saeed Anwar’s knock against the old enemy India in 1997. He was out for 194 but in the knock there were 2 boundaries given as extras [byes] where he clearly got bat on ball both times.

I still count this as the 1st double ton in Pyjama Cricket, never give it to an Indian.

Close here between the Black Caps and the Aussies. Should go down to the wire. The Aussies need 67 from the last 5 overs. Not usually into cricket but this is proving good after dinner entertainment :slight_smile:

Great finish, the kiwis won after a Super Over :smiley: Brilliant result after getting hammered by the Aussies on Friday.

Entertaining game alright Woody. But I am becoming more and more convinced that T20 is utter utter shite. Sachin Tendulkar driving through the covers for 2 runs in a test as he chases a century is infinitely more appealing than David Warner crashing yet another 6 out of the park before being caught on 20.

One of the coaches at our local cricket club is thinking of banning the u-16’S from watching T20, he’s sick of seeing them getting caught out trying stupid shots. Says its getting harder and harder to teach them the basics like how to defend.

T20 is shite and will be the death of test cricket if we allow it to go on.

As a blow-in I’m not sure I understand all of what you said, but I did find myself wondering how the run rate was so high. Having watched the odd test match (mainly the ashes) the game did seem to lack some of the finesse I would generally associate with top level cricket. And the chances of the kiwis winning a test match against the Aussies isn’t very high so they wouldn’t take kindly to your suggestions at the moment over here :wink:

Incredible scenes in Mirpur. Eoin Morgan is the saviour for England & Wales.

England were once again indebted to a match-winning innings from Eoin Morgan as his unbeaten 110 steered the tourists to a tense two-wicket victory over Bangladesh in the second one-day international.

The Ireland-born England batsman led his side’s pursuit of 261 almost single handily before blasting the visitors past the target with only six balls to spare.

The unconvincing victory, combined with Sunday’s six-wicket triumph at the same venue, sees Alastair Cook’s first series win as England captain assured with one game remaining.

Spinners Abdur Razzaq (3-52) and Shakib Al Hasan (3-32) had almost inspired Bangladesh to a famous win with three wickets apiece as England crashed to 229-8 - still 32 runs shy of victory and with only 26 balls remaining.

However, Morgan took centre stage and smashed 16 off the penultimate over to deny the Tigers a clean sweep of victories over Test playing nations.

England are the only test side Bangladesh haven’t beaten yet? I’m amazed at that statistic!!

I remember the game in Cardiff in 05 against the Aussies fairly well so knew about that and of course they beat India in the last world cup but I cannot for the life of me imagine them ever beating South Africa or New Zealand?

South Africa in the Super 8’s of the 07 WC and NZ in 08

Dont mention in that article that Morgan should have been given out LBW twice in his innings. Not his fault but cant imagine the Bangladeshis being very happy about it.

It’s great to see a Celtic supporter doing so well and I’m happy for Morgan personally. But it’s still disappointing that he’s not playing for Ireland in one of two circumstances:

i) if he was allowed to play ODIs for us while pursuing a test career with England and Wales;

or

ii) if the ICC would grant us test status to begin with so our best players wouldn’t go off to qualify to play test cricket with other nations.

I’ve long been an advocate of your option 1 there Bandage. It makes perfect sense that a man would want to play at the highest level of his sport. The fact that he can’t do this for Ireland shouldn’t prevent him from continuing to play limited overs games for us. Some knock from him today. Hopefully they’ll start to think of him as a potential Test match batsman soon. England’s next middle order crisis is never too far away, so an opportunity or two should open up over the next couple of years.

First man to score tons for two countries