Lesser forms of cricket thread

Agree. Watching T20 is like eating a full packet of skittles in one go.

It would be somewhat similar to rugby league, perhaps. Great Britain play regular series against Australia and New Zealand and then there’s a separate World Cup where lads who played with GB represent England, Wales, Scotland and even Ireland - Brian Carney would have been an example of this. Just saw some brief highlights of Morgan’s knock - he’s got some super one day style shots like switch hits and sweeps. He’ll need to score a heap of early season runs in the county championship to get into the test reckoning, I imagine, but these one day performances will do him no harm anyway.

Kepler Wessels surely got a ton for Australia did he not? I remember his ton for the Saffers at Lords fairly well anyway.

Thanks for that Mullack btw, didn’t remember the 07 win against South Africa at all tbh, amazing that they lost to us in the Super 8’s but beat the no 1 ranked team in the world !

Ah lovely. The Black Caps just went and done it again. I love this lesser form of cricket. For now.

Fitzy - whats the lowdown with Pup Clarke? I hear he’s letting Cricket take a back seat because of some bit of strumpet?

:angry:

Belting catch from Hussey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR15tMQzkgQ

Special, nothing to worry about. He was engaged to Lara Bingle, a high profile model who is nothing but bad news. She’s fine and everything, but he’s dumped her. His mond is on the game, and he’s capitain of the T20 side. He’s still a brilliant player and probably the best test player they have at the moment. I wouldn’t be worried about him.

The thing I constantly think though is that he’ll never be captain of the test side. Ponting to me looks like a man who wants to play the Ashes in England in 2012. He’s lost 2 ashes series in England now and he wants to leave a legacy of some redemption with an Ashes win abroad. If this happens, Clarke will be too old to take over as captain. You would think that Cameron Smith would have gotten into the side by then, or Brad Haddin would be in line.

Pup should be captain now really. He’s a good bloke by all accounts and seems to have sorted out the tensions he’s had at times with memebers of the team (Katich). He’s shown leadership in difficult situations (the Symonds thing) and he’s got plenty of mettle.

He’s come out extremely well from the whole Lara situation.

Punter is gone 35 now though so he’ll be shoving on if he is playing in England in 2012. I would expect that if E&W win the Ashes next winter he will be gone.

I’d love to go drinking right through the whole Ashes. A truly noble series.

http://wpcontent.answers.com/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/DeathofEnglishCricket.jpg/250px-DeathofEnglishCricket.jpg

Eoin Morgan carrying England on his own again against the Aussies. Morgan 66 not out as England require 57 from the last 13 overs chasing 268 to win.
The danger is that he will run out of partners, England 5 wickets down. He came in at 81 for 3.

Morgan with a cracking chance of a century now.

Morgan wins it with a four to get his century too. Some player.

Happy for him personally. Sad for Irish cricket.

I see he’s already being called Morgy ffs. :angry: Is there anyway he could play test Cricket for the Hun and Pyjama Cricket for us?

I think its ridiculous tbh. Test Cricket is the pinnacle so I’ve no problems with “Morgy” trying to achieve his optimium. Its unfortunate however that you can’t play for your home country still in ODI & 20/20 Cricket? This needs looking at imo.

Eoin Morgan again proved himself a special player for England as they went 1-0 up on Australia - but captain Andrew Strauss knows that is just the start of this summer’s NatWest Series story.

Strauss last night lauded Dublin-born Morgan’s 85-ball 103 not out as one of the best innings he has ever seen from an England player.

He warned too, though, that the team continue to need contributions from others - which came on Tuesday thanks to Luke Wright and Tim Bresnan in important stands with Morgan - and must not start congratulating themselves just yet against world-beating opponents.

Asked to compare the new-look England with the team that lost 6-1 to Australia in the corresponding series on home soil last September, Strauss said: "I’d prefer to answer that after five games, not one.

"We’ve done a lot of things right in this game. The bowlers did a good job to restrict them to 267, and I think at the half-way mark we were in front.

"But it’s just one game of cricket - and Australia being Australia, they will come back hard at us for these remaining games.

“Let’s not pat ourselves on the back too much at this stage.”

Strauss could hardly help but be pleased with what he has seen so far.

He added: "Ultimately, it was a very satisfying victory. But I think there are areas we could improve on from this game.

“We can’t rely on one person. That would be wrong - we need to get (batting) contributions from one to nine, which is why it was good that Luke Wright came in and did a good job at number six and Tim Bresnan at number seven.”

Asked whether anything is possible as long as Morgan is still at the crease, he agreed: "It certainly seems that way at the moment.

"The great thing about ‘Morgy’ is he’s turning into a really good finisher, but he does it in an aggressive manner.

"That puts the opposition captains under some real pressure, and he’s doing it consistently.

"It was an outstanding innings and certainly one of the very best I’ve seen in an England shirt.

"He played some outrageous shots, and the great thing is he can score round the wicket against all sorts of bowling.

“As an opposition captain, you are scratching your head to think ‘How can we tie him down?’. That’s proving difficult at the moment.”

Ricky Ponting was the man who had to try to tame the left-hander - but admitted afterwards it had proved beyond his team.

“I thought we were a bit below-par with our batting. But we did a reasonable job to get to that total, from 90 odd for four,” he said.

“Then Morgan played very, very well. A hundred off 80 odd balls, chasing that sort of score, is always a special innings.”

Eoin Morgan’s nickname has always been Moggy. I put this down to poor journalism.

The wording of the english press is classic, Dublin born, you’d think he was born in Dublin and left as a week old baby and has been developed by english cricket the whole way up along. :rolleyes:

Another Morgan half century tonight in another England win over Australia.

I watched nearly all of Morgans century there. He’s a joy to watch. :clap:

He really delivered again there in a difficult situation after 3 early wickets.

Fantastic run chase by Australia this morning to wrap up a facile series win. Todays performance marks them out as serious WC contenders.

The Tans had their best batting outing by a mile too today the other South African looked in good nick. Not quite good enough though. :smiley:

Irelands Eoin Morgan out of the Cricket World Cup for the E/W/SA representative XI.

Ravi Bopara [good WASP stock] has been called up as replacement.