Lesser forms of cricket thread

A few things happening in ODI’s

Ricky Ponting, after ODI 372 matches and over 13000 runs including 30 centuries, has been dropped by Australia and will probably never play this form of the game internationally again. Despite a great series against and albeit shit Indian team, his test spot is under threat as well. I’ll be sorry to see him finally go.

England beat Pakisatan 4-0 in their series, KP finally pitching in with centuries, his first on four years, which seems a little bit ridiculous.

India are playing utter muck again in the ODI series here. Beaten by Sri Lanka again last night in Brisbane, they used 8 (!) bowlers. Kohli went for 14 in the last over. The calls have even started for Tendulkar to retire.

India seem to be imploding altogether. Dhoni and Sehwag very publicly at odds with each other through their press conferences. I’d say they can’t get home quick enough at this stage.

Dhoni’s a terrible captain. He’s been suspended twice in this series for slow over rates.

Pup Clarke is saying he played a part in Punters ousting as captain I see?

Should be interesting next time they take the field together in a test match.

Yeah he is on the selection committee. But they have to move Punter on at some stage. He will go to Windies in April then does not have another test until October/November. Will he be able to keep his rediscovered form at that age or will they be back to square one next Winter?

Clarke as captain has a vote on the selection committee. Punter knew this was coming, not a problem between them, they are in fact very close.

Good finish to the Pakistan England T20 series in store. Bairstow just let one through his legs for 4. Pakistan need 13 from the last over. Boom Boom at the crease.

Bairstow makes up for the error by running Afridi out. 9 off 3 needed. Wide from Dernbach. 8 off 3.

England win by 5 runs. Great stuff from Dernbach and Broad in the last few overs. Misbah scored 28 off 32 at the end, he’ll take a good bit of criticism for that innings.

Or suspicion braz? Couldn’t believe the lack of urgency. Broad bowled some brilliant slow balls in penultimate over all same.

From everything I’ve seen of Misbah, I’d be very surprised if he was crooked, though unfortunately I guess no Pakistani cricketer is beyond suspicion. Broad’s over was sensational to be fair. Would only have gone for one run if it wasn’t for Bairstow’s misfield.

Amazing run chazse by India (at last) yesterday in Tasmania. Set 321 by Sri Lanka, who had Dilshan scoring 160 and Sangakarra with another century, India had to get the bonus point and win within 40 overs to stay in the series.

They did it in 37 overs! Kohli scoring 133 off 86, including a 24 run over from Malinga. Fair play to them.

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/kohli-flowers-to-keeps-indian-hopes-alive-20120228-1u13m.html

I actually caught the very end of this as I had to nip home from work for a brief period this morning. Amazing knock by Kohli. Scored 70 odd off his last 30 balls or something ridiculous like that. SL have to beat the Aussies now on Friday to make the final. Aussies place is already secured.

The Tri series finished last night with Australia winning an entertaining and very tight third game against Sri Lanks.

I think I might have complained about the amount of matches earlier, but apart from some woegious displays from India, its actually been a very good series, probably because Sri Lanka were involved. They are such a super team to watch, particuarly Dilshan, Sangakkarra, Jayawardne and Malinga. Harath and Maharouf have also been excellent. Dilshan was player of the series, some of his innings quite brilliant.

Australia look very fragile at times though. Michael Clarke was injured yesterday and now looks like he’ll be out for the series in the Windies with hamstring problems. Shane Watson deputises and he’s had an immediate effect having come back from injury. They’ve uncovered some decent players though, like Matthew Wade (goodbye Brad Haddin) and Peter Forrest. Clint Mackay got a michelle last night as well. But they have plenty of potential there and at full strength will challege anyone.

Will Watson captain the test side in the Windies?

Clarke hasn’t been ruled out of the Test series as far as I know. Haddin is vice-captain of the Test team I think, whether they would actually give him the captaincy if it came to it I’m not sure though.

He’ll captain the ODI side for the 5 matches, but Clarke is hopeful of being back for the test series which starts on April 7th (after the ODI’s).

I see NZ’s Jesse Ryder is taking an “indefinite break” from cricket, to resolve some personal issues which may or may not be realted to an alcohol problem.

Morgan got MOTM in the first of the entirely pointless five-match ODI series against Australia. England won by 15 runs. Morgan hit an unbeaten 89 off 63 balls to propel their innings from mediocrity up to 272.

England motoring along nicely here against India in the 1st T20 match, India won the toss ad put England in to bat. Currently 57/1 through 6 overs.

India are woeful so far.

im tempted to go along to the Gabba for a 20/20 game

how long do these games last?