Liam McCarthy 2008 - Time to call it

John Duggan?

Thought that post was comedy genius MBB - turns out it’s correcting the last one, I thought you were suggesting a new name for the cup.

God no!

Think I’m the only KK contributor here. Here goes:

All things being equal and if both teams play to their potential, KK should edge it.
But all things aren’t equal, especially in hurling. Waterford need to stay with KK and not let a lead of around 5-6 points build up at any stage in the match. KK will play a normal, in your face game for the first 15-20 mins, always probing to find the weakness in the oppositions set up. Waterford have come out and named an unchanged side for the game but have confirmed Prendergast at the edge of the square, Browne on the wing and McGrath in his rightful place at number 6.

I’m edgy because you just don’t know with this waterford team. They’re confident but then I think of when I started going to AI’s and personally I always thought we’d win the game, no matter what. Days like 98 and 99 really put me in my place. 87 I remember asking the auld boy how the hell could we lose it but I put that down to just being a youngfella and not realising how hard it is to win an AI. Waterford folk are confident beyond belief and I guess the nativity of getting to the final is a factor here.

I’ve seen KK lose enough AI’s to know that this is going to be a tough game. I’ve seen them win enough to know that we have a very good chance but I just have this feeling that a surprise is going to happen.

Heart, KK of course, but only a score, maybe two in it
Head, never listens to the heart and always looks at the strengths of the opposition. If Waterford click on the day we’re fooked. Wd by 4.

Go waay Gman, sure the G stands for Graiguenamanagh

had enough of them cunts in school! Betweem them and The Rower. Just as well KK were shite pretty much all through mid to late 90’s.

Fran is from Kilkenny too Lockes, so you’re not totally alone here.

Good to see you havent lost any of your Cody’esque skills in talking up the opposition!

[quote=“Gman”]had enough of them cunts in school! Betweem them and The Rower. Just as well KK were shite pretty much all through mid to late 90’s.

Fran is from Kilkenny too Lockes, so you’re not totally alone here.

Good to see you havent lost any of your Cody’esque skills in talking up the opposition![/quote]

Ya thats the only reason I was wondering, thought you were KK and showing unCodylike confidence!!

[quote=“Locke”]Think I’m the only KK contributor here.
[/quote]

I’m hurt lockes. Deeply hurt

That was exposed as bullshit Puke in fairness. Anthony Daly spreading crap live on tv.

Sorry Fran, totally forgot. The head is fairly blinkered at the moment, only one thing on the mind. Sometimes I get worried about Sunday but then I take a gander out of the window, see the B&A flags fluttering out of the people carrier and my heart swells with pride and passion.

COME ON THE CATS!!! GWAN d’LOCKES!!!

Cody’s interview in the Examiner today…

FOR all the talk in the media and the conjecture among supporters, Brian Cody isn’t stimulated by the prospect of Kilkenny completing the treble in Sunday’s GAA All-Ireland hurling championship final against Waterford.

He says he had never thought about it eluding him twice during his playing career (when double-winning teams in 1975 and 1983 each failed to get beyond the Leinster final). And, you have never heard him crying in public about Cork denying them in the 2004 final.

For him — every year — it’s only about being in Croke Park in September and meeting the challenge of winning head on.

“It will be an inspiration for some players that they could be part of a three-in-a-row team,” he states. “For others it doesn’t concern them in the slightest. They don’t even think about it. They just see the challenge to win the All-Ireland final. It’s there but we have no hard and fast rules about it.

“I certainly don’t make a big deal about it either. Myself personally, I don’t think about the three-in-a-row too much — (not) at all being honest. It’s a different challenge facing up to Waterford, something we haven’t experienced before. That’s the challenge and motivation for me.”

In short, the three-in-a-row is for “afterwards – if it happens”.

And, if it does, he won’t expect any extra plaudits, such as being described as ‘the number one hurling county,’ as one journalist put it to him. “I just think the best team wins the All-Ireland every year. I don’t think it defines anything in general terms. I would always say that the team that wins the final any year is the best team that year. Different people will compare different teams from different eras. But, that kind of thing never does anything for me.”

What does motivate him, he points out, is working with a talented group of players who represent everything that’s good about the game and Kilkenny hurling. He is in a privileged position, he admits.

“I have said that many times. I appreciate hugely the opportunity I have to be involved with Kilkenny at this level and have the opportunity to work with not just very skilful, but very genuine, decent and honest players who bring an awful lot to the game. Players who have represented Kilkenny in a terrific and very honourable way.

“That’s maybe what has given me the greatest satisfaction of all to see the kind of way they have gone about their business. I feel honoured certainly.”

Despite the long lay-off after the Leinster final, he says that he never had any doubts about his team being ready for Cork in the All-Ireland semi-final.

“The first 20 minutes was a real battle and the first 20 minutes of the second half too. Cork put serious, serious questions to us, but we weathered the storm and finished both halves strongly. That was good preparation for the final, but you look back to their semi-final and see that Waterford were tested inside out and upside down, in every possible way they could be.

“As a player, Davy Fitz was inspirational, full of passion and enthusiasm and while he’s new to the inter-county management at senior level, he has huge management experience behind him with Limerick IT level, with the Clare U21’s and at club level in various counties. He brings everything to the table, but a lot of work had been done there as well (before).

“Justin McCarthy had a great innings, but he (Davy) took over Waterford at a time when the players themselves were crying out for this big massive final push to get to an All-Ireland final. And certainly everything has gelled very well for them. Obviously they have a huge spirit, a huge unity and a huge enthusiasm — and that makes them massive opposition for us.”

Saying that, the tag of favouritism doesn’t bother him, Cody suggests that if his team doesn’t raise their standard from the semi-final they could struggle. While it represented “a decent level of performance,” he concedes that they were out-hurled — “really out-hurled,” he adds with emphasis — for certain periods of the game.

“If we give Waterford the same opportunities as Cork got we’re going to suffer. I just know for certain that on any given day we could beat Waterford and Waterford could beat us. It will be about whoever gets it right on the day.

“Last year in the League final, Waterford were better than us. That’s the way it works.”
Cody’s record

SINCE Brian Cody took over as manager following the 1998 All-Ireland defeat by Offaly, Kilkenny have played 43 games in the senior hurling championship. They have won 38 (including the 2002 All-Ireland quarter-final replay against Clare) and lost five.

Cork beat them in the finals of 1999 and 2004 and Galway triumphed in the semi-finals of 2001 and 2005.

Wexford also beat them in the Leinster semi-final of 2004 and their subsequent defeat in the All-Ireland final (after coming through the qualifier series) prevented them from achieving the treble.

Kilkenny have won the Liam MacCarthy Cup five times under Cody’s reign (2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007) along with nine Leinster championship titles (losing out in 2004) and four National League title.

On two occasions during his own playing career — which brought him All-Ireland medals in 1974, ‘75, ‘82 (when he was captain) and ‘83 — Cody lost out on the chance of three-in-a-row. In 1976 Wexford beat them in the Leinster final and also put them out in 1984 in the semi-final.

I was going to write a piece on what a win sunday would mean to me and all waterford people, but i cant get it together here. But I was in a pub last night in deepest darkest Kilkenny last night and a man turned to me and said, ‘Kilkenny have to win on Sunday, the 3 in a row means so much to us’… Well, however much they think there 3 in a row means, 1 in a row means absolutely everything to this waterford team and all of the waterford people.

In the last twenty years since I have been attending hurling matches we have endured all from Division 3 mathces against roscommon to munster final victories, but Sunday is what the last 49 years of Waterford hurling has been all about. As Austin Flynn, full back in 59, said last week when speaking of the men of 59 ‘We are too old to be heroes’. Its time for Ken, Tony, Flynner, Mullane, Dan, Brick, Kelly et al to take over from Grimes, g Morrissey, Power and Keane… Sunday is the day to be heroes.

Up the Dise.

how was it exposed as bullshit…before you answer don’t say davy said they didn’t etc…he is hardy going to come out and say it…

If this turns into a shoot out, Waterford might just pip Kilkenny. I can’t see Waterford winning a dour, low scoring game though. As with every match involving Kilkenny, there’s the fear they could just blow the opposition away.

Anybody know what the weather will be like Sunday?

[quote=“John Houlding”]If this turns into a shoot out, Waterford might just pip Kilkenny. I can’t see Waterford winning a dour, low scoring game though. As with every match involving Kilkenny, there’s the fear they could just blow the opposition away.

Anybody know what the weather will be like Sunday?[/quote]

weather in Dubland will be Daycint for the second half tomorrow and all day sunday.

so who’s going to take up the mantle of the late great tom cheasty and swat the kk lads out of the way like dying wasps ?

I’m going for Waterford. They’ve done enough to win every game in the qualifiiers and i reckon they have a bit more in reserve. Dan and Molumphy have yet to show the form of last year while the full forward line has been on fire and will have far too much for what is Kilkenny’s weakest line. Plus they have the ability to score goals which is vital if you’re going to beat Kilkenny considering they usually hit the 20 point mark and will likely get a goal or 2 out of the Waterford defence.

Kilkenny have been on top form for 3 months now and despite the strength of their panel i can’t see any team keeping that up. Add to that only one serious challenge (Cork) over the whole summer and i think if Waterford can hit the front early and put them under presssure which they haven’t experienced oin over a year then i think they have a great chance. 3-1 is always a good price in a 2 horse race.

Ive backed KK-10 - they could destroy them

Jaysus yer wan singing the anthem is some bowler

And it’s over…