Limerick GAA 2022 - Dual Kings (Part 1)

Brilliant

But you would assume pro players would be

I think that’s part of it definitely.

I think any sport that requires the explosive bursts you need in hurling will suit younger and younger lads. Look at sprinting vs distance running (obviously two extreme examples). Soccer lads probably aren’t carrying nearly as much bulk either.

I’m only guessing here though, I could be WAY off

the report made some mention that semi pro soccer players weren’t significantly lower than pro players in any metric.

no you’re right. Soccer players body fat % are massively lower than hulers and footballers. It’s in that report you obviously didn’t read :smiley:

You’re absolutely spot on. As always.

:ronnyroar:

Body fat and muscle are too different things…

Yeah soccer players have more upper body and abdomen muscle endurance as well.

Gaelic footballers had a higher one rep max than soccer players though. Hulers came out last in everything

you will have irked a few of the gahliban here

If they’re irked by science that isn’t on me kid

ive been listening to a few simon ferry podcasts where they talk to ex pros

the ones recently retired are sick of the S&C coaches having too much say, stuff like, they didnt play one week so after the game the players that didnt play do light exercise, and the S&C guy running out saying not to do it as they had trained too hard the previous day, saying a lot of managers give them too much power

the one that always stuck out for me though was seedorf getting his fillings realligned every season

That makes sense. They look to have bigger upper-bodies. Probably deal with more collisions.

The hurlers coming last in everything is a bit surprising. The old adage about “the ball doing the work” probably applies to an extent. Will be interesting to see if hurling catches up with (Gaelic) football in the coming years

I remember that show and he was a disgrace by GAA club standards at the time let alone intercounty

2 Likes

Might be somewhat useful as a comparator if it wasn’t a 15 year old report based on 17 year old data.

Publication history

• Accepted July 20, 2004
  • First published June 23, 2005.

Online issue publication

June 23, 2005

7 Likes

Have Persil done any studies on it?

do you think the LOI hasn’t moved on since and GAA has? It was so definitive they haven’t bothered their holes to go at it again

1 Like

An up to date report would tell us that

Shure Graham Geraghty was the fittest player Paul Merson had ever seen

3 Likes

A nice auld fella . It’s lads like him that won’t get the send off they deserve with all the restrictions. RIP

2 Likes

God rest him